Archaeological Museum of Seville
Plaza de America, Seville, Spain
  • We noticed that many of the stores were closed but all the restaurants were open
  • The Roman collection, in particular, is one of the best and biggest in Europe, and it is the most impressive area of the three
  • This is one of the quietest but most interesting museums I have even seen in Europe, and well worth the visit

• by Jessie Bahrey

When we took the bus to Seville, Spain, from the Costa del Sol which was a 3 hour bus ride, we had no clear plan on where we were going to go and what we were going to see. We chose to come into town on a Sunday, so we could see the busy people in town to attend Church, and other than people-watching, we just wanted to see what we could see in the few hours we had in the city.

We left the bus station and started walking, noticing the fountains and gardens everywhere in the busy streets. The local Seville residents were all dressed up for church of lunch or tapas with their friends in the city. We noticed that many of the stores were closed but all the restaurants were

open. Within two blocks, we came across a beautiful old Renaissance and Baroque style building that was as big as three city blocks (we know, because we walked around most of the building trying to find out what it was). The gardens around it were very beautiful, and it looked like an official building of some sort. We finally got to an entrance and found out that it was the Archaeological Museum of Seville, and fortunately for us, it was open Sundays from 9am-2pm. We decided to go and see what it was all about, as I had not read about it in the travel guide yet, and we entered and paid only a 3 Euro entrance fee (it is free for EU members).

Inside, the museum is divided into 3 main areas, Prehistoric, Roman ...

• and Arabic. The Roman collection, in particular, is one of the best and biggest in Europe, and it is the most impressive area of the three. I enjoyed the Roman area best; there are many wonderful marble statues, especially of some of the Roman emperors, and there are recreations of Roman tombs that I have never seen before in my travels. I am unsure if the fact that it was a Sunday or because it was just off peak season was the reason we did not have to fight crowds, but we were able to wander at our leisure. We did not see any guided tours, but you really don’t need one, and can easily do it on your own. We took our time and still managed to see most of it in 2
        hours. This is one of the quietest but most interesting museums I have even seen in Europe, and well worth the visit.

Once outside, we continued to walk around the area, the Plaza de America, and then sat in a café within view of the museum, and people-watched. One of the interesting features that I noticed was that the museum and the area around it are old, and then some of the buildings have satellite dishes on them, which is a weird juxtaposition of old and new. The plaza is busy and the locals come and go in their colourful clothes, making people-watching really great here.

The Archaeological Museum of Seville is a great place to see when in the city. The hours are: Closed on Mondays, Tuesdays open only 2:30pm-8:30pm, Wednesdays-Saturdays 9am-8pm, and Sundays open 9am-2pm.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381208797230831/k2311a0812/8.12.09