Ogilvie Transportation Center  » Railway  »
500 W. Madison, Chicago, Illinois
  • If you're ever in the West Loop area of Chicago, I would recommend a visit to the Ogilvie Transportation Center

• by mom1

I just returned from the Ogilvie Transportation Center located at 500 W. Madison in Chicago, Illinois. This is the former Northwestern Train Station. The exterior of the building is massive and has lots of glass windows. I wasn’t expending too much on the inside, afterall, a train station is a train station.

Upon walking through the large revolving doors, we were met by a security guard. Instead of a train station, it reminded me of the inside of an International Airport, not unlike O’hare Airport in Chicago. We took one of the 2 huge escalators up to the food court. We, my daughter and fiance were met by hundreds of people, most of them passengers, sitting at the tables in the massive food court, or waiting in line at one of the food court restaurants.

We

were packed into this large space like sardines. The smell of the food court, in a way reminded me of the smell of the movie theater. Actually, even more so when I stood in the food court, I said to myself, hmm, smells like Sears in here. When I was a kid, my mother would take me to Sears and they always were popping popcorn in there.

I don’t know why. Anyway, the food court section of Ogilvie was very clean and even though there were tons of people there, it seemed very orderly. I do not chaos and crowds, but there was a really good flow and vibe in there. Not chaotic at all.

Anyway, Ogilvie was clean and modern looking. There were lots of stores in the complex, and it is truly massive. It is ...

• connected to Citigroup Financial where thousands of people walk through on a daily basis. It was really exciting to see thousands of people rushing to get to the trains.

I have never been on a train in my life, nor have I ever been in a train station. My 14 year old daughter was on a train for the first time last week, by the way. Anyway, we walked through where the passengers board the train to get to the “under construction” new Metra Market that’s going up and will be opening October of 2009. It was really dark and creepy in there.

I actually felt like I was in a movie or in the Twilight Zone. Remember, I have never been on a train or train station in my life. It smelled like jet fuel

by the trains. Just like the airport.

Ogilvie Transportation Center soon will be a hot spot come Fall because this Metra Market that they’re building is a 100,000 square foot retail development with restaurants and an authentic French Market. I’m excited for it to open. There is also a new CVS pharmacy that looks like it’s going to open soon too. Parking is not that great at Ogilvie.

We drove around and around to find a spot, but finally found one. Of course lo and behold the meter was broke. We did get lucky again and found another parking spot. If you’re ever in the West Loop area of Chicago, I would recommend a visit to the Ogilvie Transportation Center.

It’s really spectacular especially if you’ve never been in a train station or on a train like me.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 441208797140831/k2311a0812/8.12.09