Bateau-Bus, Paris  » Travel  »
Paris, France
  • I found the small passenger ferry system by accident, as I was crossing the Seine on one of the numerous, historic bridges that crossed the river
  • The Bateau-Bus didn’t just make our stay in Paris convenient and affordable, it enhanced it greatly
  • It is the best way to get around, and to see some beautiful sights while you are on the water

• by Jessie Bahrey

When traveling in Paris, I discovered a way of getting around the city and seeing major tourist attractions in the most scenic and economic way; in fact, for the price of one short taxi ride, you can travel up and down the Seine River all day, stopping where you want to stop, and having many wonderful photo ops along the way.

I found the small passenger ferry system by accident, as I was crossing the Seine on one of the numerous, historic bridges that crossed the river. I saw a number of the ferries pass by, and then I saw a sign at a kiosk that gave prices for the ‘Bateau-Bus’, so we inquired at the ticket desk. We were told that the ferry, which operates like a public bus or rapid

transit train, runs up and down the Seine every half an hour all day and during some hours into the night, making several stops along the way. We were also told that the service runs longer into the night and more frequently during the summer months and less during the off-season. We purchased a day pass for 12 euro each, because we had planned to go to the Eiffel Tower and Notre-Dame that day, and this would make it a lot easier. I expected this to be a quick way to get where we wanted to go, but I was to find out that the journey on the little ferry itself was a wonderful attraction.

This river shuttle service proved to be a god-send for our three days in Paris. We bought ...

• an all day pass, for unlimited use, all three days. There were 8 stops along the way: the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower, Notre-Dame, Musee d’Orsay, Champs-Elysees, Paris Hotel de Ville, and two more that we never got to. This discovery of the Bateau-Bus allowed us to plan our three days perfectly, and because of this mode of transportation, which is incredibly affordable for Paris, we didn’t miss anything we wanted to see.

Other than being able to get to what we wanted to see on this little ferry, we had not expected the outstanding views that we got from standing on the little deck at the back of the boat. I have pictures of the Eiffel Tower and Notre-Dame that would not be possible if we had not been on the water;

in fact, I tried to get a shot of the Eiffel Tower that showed its size, but it wasn’t until I shot it from the water as we sailed away that the full view of it rising against the blue sky was visible. I also got shots of the Musee d’Orsay that were spectacular. The stop that we got on and off, at Notre-Dame, is literally a 10 minute walk from our hotel on the Left Bank. The Bateau-Bus didn’t just make our stay in Paris convenient and affordable, it enhanced it greatly.

The ticket kiosks for Bateau-Bus are located all along the river and at the train and bus stations everywhere in Paris. It is the best way to get around, and to see some beautiful sights while you are on the water.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381208796950831/k2311a0812/8.12.09