St. Louis Zoo  » Entertainment  »
1 Government Dr St Louis, MO 63110
  • The only thing that did bug me about their set up was that I felt that a lot of the animals were pulled inside for huge chunks of the day

• by alpha2zulu

I had no idea before we started planning our trip to St Louis that there was so much free stuff to do. The St. Louis Zoo in Forest Park is one of those free things and a trip here helped make our vacation with the kids so much fun and super memorable.

Usually when we are planning a vacation we are doing as much as we can to make sure that we save money where ever we can and stretch every dollar that is in our budget. The free zoo and other activities in Forest Park made that super easy.

The St. Louis Zoo is part of the larger Forest Park, which has tons of free things to do for individuals and families. In addition to the free admission to the zoo, there is free parking all over the city that you can take advantage of if you plan well and get

there early enough. We found out that the parking directly attached to the zoo is not free, just eleven dollars, but if you want to save the money, get a little exercise and see more of the park, you can park for free at the Art Museum lots and walk over. It is not that far especially since you can just enter to the zoo from the north lot.

You should also note, especially if you have younger children, that there is a petting zoo and there is an extra fee. We went during one of their special free days, where you can get into the petting zoo for free during the first whole hour that the zoo is open. You can stay in there as long as the kids like though, so make sure you plan ahead and get there soon enough. I do not know how long this free hour is ...

• going to be offered though so make sure you check out the zoo’s website to see if this has changed.

As for the exhibits, animals and everything that there is at the zoo, we had hours and hours worth of entertainment. I really do not know what happened to the time, and even though it was in the dead of summer it didn’t bother us because the zoo is well laid out and well shaded. There were so many areas where the animals were segregated and while it was a lot of walking the kids were too excited to notice. The only thing that did bug me about their set up was that I felt that a lot of the animals were pulled inside for huge chunks of the day. We went by early to see some animals, came back around lunch time and then again in the evening and they

were never out. I don’t really know why they have it this way, but if you have children that are super psyched about seeing a particular animal, this can be upsetting. At least at our zoo, they can be seen indoors to, or they put up a note saying why the animal is put away– pregnancy, illness, visiting another zoo or being used in a demonstration etc.

The other cool thing that I liked here was all the free shows or talks that they had going on around the zoo. It really gave the kids the chance to learn more about some of the animals that they were using. The staff was great and friendly, the food was a little on the expensive side, but I already expected that and with everything else being free we could handle it. Awesome place to go though and great for a vacation stop with the kids.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 591108796541131/k2311a0811/8.11.09