Tefal Induction Hob
  • I’ve been using my Tefal induction cooker for a year now and here’s what I love about it

• by tsimon

The Tefal induction hob is my first-ever foray into induction cooking. Before this, I prepared meals using an electric stove top. My move to induction cooking was two fold: I wanted to save up on electricity and induction cookers were what I mostly saw available at the appliance stores in Hong Kong, where we live.

I’ve been using my Tefal induction cooker for a year now and here’s what I love about it: - It has definitely

lowered our electricity consumption, and consequently, our utility bill.

- It takes a shorter time to heat up compared to electric cookers. It takes just a little under five minutes to boil a liter of water.

- Because of the technology involved, the heat is concentrated to just the pan or cookware. This meant that our tiny little flat did not get uncomfortably warmer when preparing meals.

I did have to go through a little learning curve to use ...

• this. I was more used to cooking with choosing between low, medium or high heat settings. But the Tefal cooker has several presets, based on what you cook: fry, sauté, boil. I love it because some settings allow me to set the exact temperature, which makes for even cooking.

The cooker automatically shuts itself off if you’ve kept in on for a long period of time. I appreciate this safety feature, especially when I need

to multitask and leave the stove for a while. But it can be tricky for slow-cooked food. For example, pasta. I use the “boil” setting to prepare the water. By the time the water begins to boil and I add the pasta, the cooker will turn itself off in a couple of minutes. I end up with raw, wet noodles. I’ve since learned to switch to “stew” setting once I dropped in the pasta.

Learning curve aside, I’d still keep using the induction cooker.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 531008795751231/k2311a0810/8.10.09