Peavey Rage 158 Amp / Speaker  » Electronics  »
  • It may not be acceptable for use with a bass guitar, but other guitars and keyboards can definitely work well with it
  • I recommend the clean setting for acoustic guitars and keyboards, but the distortion does sound ok with electric guitars
  • In short, I have really enjoyed the Peavey Rage 158 Amp and believe that it provides sufficient value for the price

• by cbantly

The Peavey Rage 158 Guitar / Keyboard amp is not one of the most popular on the market, but the price simply can’t be beat and I have thoroughly learned to appreciate its capabilities. Although I originally purchased the amp for an acoustic guitar with pickup, I actually use it more with my keyboard than anything else. Sometimes I will use a microphone in the second input, and other times I will use the input outlet and run music in coordination with my keyboard. I will review this item and describe it in detail, and hopefully some more consumers will realize what exceptional value the Peavey Rage 158 Amp offers.

The amp is incredibly lightweight and has a carrying handle on the top for convenience. There are metal reinforcements around each of the corners and luckily this makes it incredibly durable. I try not to be hard on my equipment, but it is easy for things to get thrown around when on the road. The rubber feet on the amp allow it to sit virtually anywhere and it really

minimizes the vibrations that most amps suffer from. The amp is completely open on the back, which accomplishes several things. There is space for storing cords and other small items in the bottom, but more importantly it provides easy access to the internal components of the amp. It is not difficult to work on at all, and even replacing the speaker is not a difficult task due to the easy access.

As far as the logistics go, there are two inputs on the amp itself. The second input is intended for a compact disc player and is not altered by the different sound settings. As a result, the second input can be used with vocals or a keyboard if necessary, but it really isn’t acceptable for use with guitars. There is a simple on and off button located on the front panel, so there are no difficult switches to find. The speaker in the amp is a 10 watt speaker, which seems very weak but the sound doesn’t reflect it. The power cord is only about 3 ...

• feet long, so be prepared to use an extension cord if necessary.

The sound that the amp puts out is fairly decent for its small size. It may not be acceptable for use with a bass guitar, but other guitars and keyboards can definitely work well with it. There is a 3 knob equalizer that provides many different settings. There are 2 different channels which allows for either a distorted effect or a clean sound. I recommend the clean setting for acoustic guitars and keyboards, but the distortion does sound ok with electric guitars. There are also other options and there is one knob for pre and one knob for post. Playing with the lead knobs can drastically change the sound and it is highly likely that you will be able to find the one desired.

It is important to be realistic with one’s expectations when considering the Peavey Rage 158 Amp, as it’s not impressive if it has to meet impossible goals. It is a very good choice for any individual that is simply looking for a small

amp with which to practice. I have used it as a monitor with my keyboard while at a concert, but it is less than ideal. I also would not recommend using it while doing any type of performance as it simply doesn’t put out enough sound. It is lightweight and portable, so it definitely is a great amp for anyone looking to be able to carry one practically anywhere. The cord is relatively short, however, so be ready to take along an extension cord.

In short, I have really enjoyed the Peavey Rage 158 Amp and believe that it provides sufficient value for the price. While I don’t use it at performances and concerts, I do occasionally practice with it. I have had mine for nearly 10 years and I have experienced absolutely no problems. It works as well today as it did when it was brand new, so it definitely could be called reliable. The amp would be an excellent option for a beginner, and even more experienced individuals can probably put it to good use.

Cam says :

re : I recommend the clean setting for acoustic guitars and keyboards, but the distortion does sound ok with electric guitars
    This is not an acoustic guitar, keyboard, or bass amp. The low end from the bass or keyboard will rip the speaker to shreds. It’s designed for electric guitar. It is meant to reproduce mids and high frequencies and "colors" the sound more like an electric guitar amp versus a flat or natural reproduction of the sound (like for an acoustic guitar or keyboard). I can see how you COULD use it for a keyboard monitor but it will not be ideal and could blow if you are not careful. I use my Rage 158 as a backstage/practice amp before I fire up my 6505, this amp will give you the tube feel and has that dirty Peavey distortion similar to the 6505.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 161008795511231/k2311a0810/8.10.09