Hills Prescription UD diet for dogs  » Pets  »
  • Unfortunately, I did not keep his urinary acid content sufficiently low and the urinary oxylate stones returned, requiring another surgery to remove them
  • I'd like to keep experimenting with the cooked diet, but I recommend that if you go this route with Dalmatians then consult your vet first (each dog is different)

• by Oneironaut

I have a Dalmatian that has twice now gone in for surgical bladder stone removal.

After the first time he had stones, he was put onto Hills UD to attempt to reduce the acidity of his urine. The Hills UD is a pelletized food - deep yellow in colour and quite oily.

There is a lot of fat in the UD diet (pork in origin?), requiring a fundamentally different digestive method to extract energy from the fat. Not

all digestive systems adapt that well. Other diets are substantially carbohydrate and easier to extract energy). UD has limited, but high quality protein content. There are preservatives in Hills UD to keep the oils and fats from going rancid, which I’m not all that comfortable about.

I had him on the diet for around 2 years, without problems but I had trouble keeping his weight down and he was permanently hungry. On UD The vet reccomends keeping him running around/on walks and fit (more than normal). After two years of the UD diet, I had read a lot about alternative diets and decided to start cooking for the dogs, because it was much cheaper than the UD and apparently healthier (UD: US$120 for 14kg bag, cooked diet: 50% of that). I fed him a relatively bland diet of boiled or raw chicken breast (low in purines) and brown rice and raw frozen vegetables (ground up).

• Hills Prescription UD diet for dogs
      His overall condition improved markedly with the fresh food: fat content dropped, muscle mass increased and fur condition improved. His somewhat sensitive skin no longer acquired occasional bacterial infections (ochre red rash).

Unfortunately, I did not keep his urinary acid content sufficiently low and the urinary oxylate stones returned, requiring another surgery to remove them. The vet now recommends only UD and nothing else for him.

He seems to like the UD taste, which not all dogs do.

Alternative foods are Royan Canin Urinary SO 13 pellets.

I’d like to keep experimenting with the cooked diet, but I recommend that if you go this route with Dalmatians then consult your vet first (each dog is different). You will need to run weekly litmus tests to determine the impact of various foods.

I appreciate that the Hills UD product works, but my dog’s condition is not 100% when he eats it and the preservatives in it are a worry.

Kami says :

I hope you get this message - so the Hill`s u d DID help keep the stones from reforming when he was on it? What is what my dog is on right now for the calcium oxalate stones he had. If you want to make your own diet you need to join K9KidneyDiets - it is a yahoogroup. There is a diet there specially formulated for calcium oxalate forming dogs called Fuzzer Foods, it is something we`re considering putting our dog on….It is a homemade diet and you balance out the phosphorous with calcium citrate and other supplements

Oneironaut replies :

Hi Kami, I`m still waiting for the exact analysis of the stones this time around. The UD does keep stones from forming when he is on it. I still don`t think dry dogfood is terribly healthy for dogs. The previous diet I have used over the last 6 months was per meal 150g fairly bland boiled chicken, 2 spoon brown rice, and a spoon of raw veg made up of carrots, beans, marrow, squash, blended up in a blender together with an egg, tsp kelp powder, tblsp hemp oil, 2xtbsp garlic and tblsp sunflower oil per batch. I froze the veg batches using cupcake pans - it stacks nicely in the freezer once popped out. Ditto the chicken - made up in 15kg batches. I`ll check out the group, thanks.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 29908794080831/k2311a089/8.9.09