The Beatles - Help!
  • Help definitely has some great songs on it but I'm glad that The Beatles did go on to a lot better songwriting on the following record
  • Not really a track with amazing songwriting or anything, but it’s a very good way to start the album out - an energetic, catchy short song, this actually describes a lot of The Beatles early work
  • You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away - This song is often said to be strongly influenced by Bob Dylan, and after re-listening to it, I’d have to say that I actually agree a bit on this
  • Out of the first four songs I’d definitely say that this track is the song with the best songwriting, I’m extremely grateful that The Beatles met Bob Dylan since it influenced their songwriting in a very good way
  • McCartney really impressed me with this track and I’d have to say this song showcases the best songwriting on the album, whether Lennon or McCartney

• by Grimmy101

Overview - Help!, The Beatles’ fifth effort, is the final album that I would consider just average before they launched into their truly great period with albums such as Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper’s, The White Album, Magical Mystery Tour, and a few others. The thing about Help is that you can honestly hear on some songs that the band was really starting to progress and develop a lot more, departing from just the simple pop sound to a more mature sound. If you listened to Rubber Soul before hearing this album and then you listened to a track on here like Tell Me What You See, you’d probably honestly think it could’ve appeared on Rubber Soul. Both Lennon and McCartney showcase some excellent songwriting on here and both of them, along with Harrison and even Starr, sound very good on vocals. Help definitely has some great songs on it but I’m glad that The Beatles did go on to a lot better songwriting on the following record.

The Tracks -

1. Help! - Right from the start of the album, The Beatles showcase a great vocal performance on this track and also a good rhythm behind it, particularly due to Harrison’s guitar riffs on this song. Harrison primarily sings lead on this song and sounds very fitting with the music behind him, but McCartney also harmonizes with him in some parts as well which is a nice touch to the song. Not really a track with amazing songwriting or anything, but it’s a very good way to start the album out - an energetic, catchy short song, this actually describes a lot of The Beatles early work.

2. The Night Before - On this track McCartney takes lead singing duties and has an excellent vocal performance, however, I have to say that a lot of that is due to the fact that Lennon and Harrison are on background vocals in some parts, he just wouldn’t be able to carry this song as well if he were just singing alone. Musically the song is also quite a bit different feeling than the opening song which is a nice contrast and I’m glad they don’t really feel the same to me. While the first track seemed to be a bit more traditional sounding, this track actually seems to be pretty driven by McCartney’s, bassline. Not quite as catchy as the first song but still a good one.

3. You’ve Got To Hide Your

Love Away - This song is often said to be strongly influenced by Bob Dylan, and after re-listening to it, I’d have to say that I actually agree a bit on this. Lennon takes lead vocals once again on this track and sings over a music simpler instrumentation, something Dylan would do, and showcases a bit of a darker tone with his delivery. Out of the first four songs I’d definitely say that this track is the song with the best songwriting, I’m extremely grateful that The Beatles met Bob Dylan since it influenced their songwriting in a very good way. Excellent song, my favorite so far.

4. I Need You - I Need You continues with the darker sound to it that the previous song started, but the difference here is that the song is a bit more electrically driven and Harrison is on lead vocals, the first time for this album. Musically the song is extremely simple, the only really prominent part is honestly Harrison’s volume swells on guitar which isn’t all that interesting. Vocally, I’m not really sure how I feel about the melody. I sort of think that it’s a bit catchy but at the same time, after hearing it throughout the whole song it’s a bit boring and also doesn’t flow with the music as well as it really good. Not a terrible song, but this has to be my least favorite so far.

5. Another Girl - Another Girl goes back to the typical feel that the majority of the songs on this album have. McCartney takes lead vocals on this track, backed by backing vocals by Lennon and Harrison. Overall I can’t really say that I like this song all that much. I sort of feel the same about this song as I do about I Need You. Musically the song isn’t all that interesting and vocally the song isn’t anything too special for me either. This song isn’t bad at all, I personally like it more than I Need You, but it’s just not really close to some other songs on here.

6. You’re Going To Lose That Girl - Well first off, I think that Lennon singing lead and then McCartney and Harrison on harmony vocals works very well on this track for the most part. Ringo Starr also has a few interesting drum parts on this song, really the first time I’ve taken note of him on this album. At first ...

• I didn’t really like this song for some reason, but I have to say that I overlooked it for quite a while and it’s a pretty strong track overall, excellent vocal performance here.

7. Ticket To Ride - Ticket To Ride definitely has some of the saddest lyrics on the album so far, although they won’t be the saddest by the time Yesterday comes up. Lennon just sounds great on this track throughout the entire thing and the music flows very well throughout as well. I’d probably say that You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away showcases better songwriting but this track honestly isn’t too far behind, one of my favorites from this album.

8. Act Naturally - This song is a cover so I won’t really comment on the actual arrangement, just the performance. Unlike the other songs on this album, Ringo Starr takes lead vocals on this track and although he doesn’t come close to the level of Lennon, McCartney, or Harrison, he doesn’t sound bad at all. The song doesn’t really demand a huge vocal range from the singer which is one reason why it goes with Starr’s voice. The song isn’t too bad at all and the vocal melody and delivery is actually pretty catchy, but it’s not really a track on this album that I really like, not bad though.

9. It’s Only Love - To me personally, I think the lyrics on this track are slightly weak but everything else about it is pretty solid. Lennon’s actual vocal tone and melody work very well with the music behind him and he’s able to create a very mellow atmosphere behind him. The lyrics seem a bit forced, or at least some of the rhyming, but this isn’t a major flaw to the song. Not one of the better songs on the album, but still good work.

10. You Like Me Too Much - Harrison takes lead vocals once again and this track actually starts out, and features throughout, a piano, which is a nice change. Although I did say that the lyrics were slightly weak on the previous track, I’d have to say that they’re even worse here, it’s just all very generic and nothing all that original. The song is catchy and everything, and is a good pop song, but it’s really nothing more than that and doesn’t really have any depth to it, but then again I seem to feel that with quite a few

of The Beatles earlier songs.

11. Tell Me What You See - Just as Lennon showcased better songwriting on You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away, McCartney showcases it on this track. The tone and feel of this track is quite a bit different from the rest of the songs on this album in my opinion, it feels a lot more like the songs on Rubber Soul to me. Although the song does still have elements that the rest of the songs on this album has, it just sounds a lot more developed and lot more than just a pop song then the rest of the material on here. Very good both musically and vocally, one of the better songs on here in my opinion.

12. I’ve Just Seen A Face - Well just to start, although I think that the opening guitar riff doesn’t really fit with the rest of the song, I personally think that riff is just beautiful, one of Harrison’s best. McCartney has slightly more of a country tone on this track, although not really to a huge extent, rather than a more pop orientated delivery which is a nice change to hear in his voice. Not an amazing track but I personally do enjoy listening to it now and then.

13. Yesterday - Yesterday is probably the saddest song The Beatles have ever put out. McCartney’s lyrics on this track are extremely sad, much more than Lennon’s on Ticket To Ride, and he also gives his most emotional and powerful vocal delivery on the entire album on this track. The instrumentation is only McCartney singing along with an acoustic guitar and a string quartet which gives the song an even darker and sadder feel to it. McCartney really impressed me with this track and I’d have to say this song showcases the best songwriting on the album, whether Lennon or McCartney. Just an excellent song.

14. Dizzy Miss Lizzy - This song is also another cover so I’ll only comment on the performance of it. To contrast with the extremely dark and sad previous track, The Beatles end this record with a very upbeat and rock driven cover. Just as McCartney sounded extremely emotional on the previous track, Lennon sounds extremely aggressive on this one - definitely the most aggressive he’s sounded the whole album. This track is honestly just full of energy and full of attitude and is a nice way to end the record.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 14708792591131/k2311a087/8.7.09