Inter-Cultural Language School  » Education  »
2.0
Lot D-1, Block D, 2nd Floor, KL Plaza
  • However, before you sign up for a course with them, allow me to share my experience at this center with you guys
  • One problem is that these native speakers cannot speak in other languages, so I often have problems understanding what the teacher wants from us
  • So I suggest that if you really want to learn a language, famous and bigger centers does not necessarily promise you better outcomes

• by shinl

If you want to learn a language - Japanese, English, Korean, Mandarin, French, German, Italian, Spanish or Malay - you may think of Inter-Cultural Language School, as it is one of the most famous language school in Kuala Lumpur. However, before you sign up for a course with them, allow me to share my experience at this center with you guys.

I started learning Japanese here. They have native speakers to teach us, which is great, because I

get to learn their accent. One problem is that these native speakers cannot speak in other languages, so I often have problems understanding what the teacher wants from us. Often me and my course mates have to playing guessing game in class as we cannot understand.

Also, I find them very commercialized. There are three types of writing for Japanese - Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji. Kanji is the most difficult but it is used very frequently in Japan,

• so it becomes pretty pointless to learn Japanese without learning Kanji. At this center, I had completed two levels but they had not taught us a single Kanji, so even though I can converse, I cannot read. I find it really frustrating. It defeats the purpose of learning Japanese. Furthermore, it is expensive to learn here. You pay about RM300 for a course.

Also, the certificate they issued is not recognised internationally. We sit for internal tests.

I now learn Japanese somewhere else. It is a much smaller learning center but they teach Kanji and I will be sitting for the international test, JLPT. The fees I pay here is even cheaper than what I pay at ICLS.

So I suggest that if you really want to learn a language, famous and bigger centers does not necessarily promise you better outcomes. Get more advices and opinions and do more researches before you make a decision.

-12
    Mel says :

Hello, I read your review of ICLS and was wondering if you could recommend me the smaller learning center which you moved to. Thank You )

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 50708792411131/k2311a087/8.7.09