Bactrim and Phenazophyrid  » Medicine  »
1.5
  • Not only that, but you have to avoid prolonged and direct sunlight (difficult to do in the middle of summer) while taking the Bactrim

• by Nikki Hanna

Several weeks ago, I began experiencing lower back pains that couldn’t be attributed to anything else currently going on, medically, for me. About two hours after the pain began, I started noticing an urgency to urinate and just KNEW it was a bladder infection. Once you’ve had that kind of pain, it becomes unmistakable to you. Since it was late at night, I couldn’t exactly head right to the doctor, and because I was pretty positive I knew what it was, I didn’t want to rush to the emergency room either. So, I waited overnight, and the pain was very intense by the time I made it to my doctor the next afternoon.

After waiting nearly an hour, he comes in to confirm that it

was, indeed a bladder infection, and decides to prescribe me Bactrim for the anti-biotic and phenazophyrid 200mg for relief of the symptoms. Usually, when I take an antibiotic, I feel relief in a matter of a couple hours. The same can be said for the phenazophyrid as well. A couple hours, and boom, I’m feeling much better. But, these drugs just didn’t seem to be cutting it. Two days later and I was still feeling the discomfort! Not only that, but you have to avoid prolonged and direct sunlight (difficult to do in the middle of summer) while taking the Bactrim. I’ve been told that’s pretty typical of antibiotics, but it’s certainly an inconvenience. If you don’t eat food or drink milk with the phenazophyrid,

• you’ll start to feel nauseous and the upset stomach will last hours. I even experienced some mild headaches. It’s almost as if I wasn’t taking any medication at all.

After my ten days on the Bactrim (it was only four days on the pehnazophyrid- and I was still feeling the discomfort when that prescription ended) I went back to the doctor and dutifully provided another urine sample. I STILL had the bladder infection. Instead of trying another antibiotic, he gave me another prescription for Bactrim, with a higher mg dosage. And, after yet another ten days, and ten more days of discomfort, I was STILL showing signs of the infection. He was ready to prescribe the Bactrim again, but I refused it and asked him

to try something else, at which point he did, and at which point, it worked.

Now, I have a high tolerance for medications, and I guess Bactrim is one of those medications that is relatively low dosage, effectively speaking. And, perhaps I could understand ten days might not be enough… but twenty days? That, to me, suggests the medication isn’t strong enough to combat a deep infection. Perhaps if I had caught the infection sooner, Bactrim would’ve worked, but I’ll never know and, quite frankly, I’ll never take the chance of finding out by taking Bactrim again.

If you are easily affected by medications, maybe these two will work, but neither did a thing for me in the long run. I’ve had better luck with over-the-counter medications.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 26608791710531/k2311a086/8.6.09