The Eiffel Tower  » Travel  »
1 Rue du Champ de Mars, Paris, France
  • We picnicked in a small park under the tower, which was amazing, and then we bought tickets near the entrance
  • The photographs are a very interesting history lesson

• by Jessie Bahrey

The Eiffel Tower may well be one of the most famous landmarks in the world, and I was very excited to finally see it. We took a bateau-bus (a passenger ferry that makes several stops along the Seine River in Paris) to get there from our hotel in the Left Bank, and from the river, I could see the tower from miles away. My heart was beating very quickly as I realized I would soon be there. We picnicked in a small park under the tower, which was amazing, and then we bought

tickets near the entrance. The prices are very reasonable, costing adults 13 euro to go to the very top. There are a lot of unofficial souvenir stands around the base of the tower, with vendors selling everything from key chains to postcards. Although I knew that the tower was tall, I was surprised to see just how huge the base was as you stand under it.

The lineup through the entrance moved quickly, and soon we were on an elevator to the first floor, which contains shops, restaurants and as you walk around this floor, there are displays of the history of the tower and well as of Paris itself. The photographs are a very interesting history lesson. There is also a conference room which hosts international groups. We took another elevator (there are four elevators from the base to the first and second floors) to the second floor. Here, along with more souvenir shops and restaurants, there is an area with a glass floor, which I only dared to glance at briefly. There is also a long line up to take another elevator to the top ...

• The Eiffel Tower
      floor. We had to wait about 20 minutes, but it is well worth it. There are two levels to view a breathtaking view of Paris, one indoor and one outdoor. There are large binoculars, but you really don’t need them, because the view, especially from the circular, outdoor observation deck is amazing. At the top, according to the visitor’s guide, you are 276 meters above the ground. The views are spectacular, and the pictures of the city from this vantage point turned out to be incredible. I had to fight my way through
      to the railing so that I could take some great pictures, but it was more than worth it.

The Eiffel Tower is an awesome landmark, and should not be missed when you visit France. Far from being a lame tourist attraction, it is worth the time and the crowds to not only climb to the top of this famous site, but to get some gorgeous panoramic views of Paris. And after dark, the tower is lit up, casting light into the surrounding city for many miles, so viewing this at night is also a must!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38608791270431/k2311a086/8.6.09