Mountain Mods U2 UFO Opti 1203 Computer Case  » Hardware  »
  • Initially, I was looking at a Lian Li model, which I almost bought until I found out about Mountain Mods from a fellow computer geek, and went to check them out
  • As the building plans progressed, I decided that I would be needing further small parts for the case from this company
  • I had really not thought that either was excessive, but they knocked a substantial amount off of my shipping as a thank you for being patient, which I thought was nice

• by Reviewit

I was in the market for a computer case that could go above and beyond what most normal towers can provide for a custom computer I was building. I needed a case that could house a lot of equipment in an organized way, and had good space layout to provide airflow for cooling. Initially, I was looking at a Lian Li model, which I almost bought until I found out about Mountain Mods from a fellow computer geek, and went to check them out. I am very glad I did.

Mountain Mods computer cases have the most features and flexibility of any computer case I have ever worked with. The Opti 1203 model I bought features:

Thick aluminum construction for durability High quality Powder Coat paint finishes Dimensions 18×18x18 Power Supplies - Holds up to 2 HD Bay - Removable Holds 9 5.25 Bay - 2 Removable 5.25 Devices - Holds 10 MB Tray - Removable Form Factors - mATX/ATX/EATX Fan Mounts - 6-120mm Empty Weight - 15 lbs.

Price $374.99

As you can see, there is not much that you cannot fit into this case. These cases are Hyper-Modular in design, which means that you can easily change and customize the configurations just by changing the panels on the case. This is accomplished easily, because the case is made of

a sturdy interior frame that the exterior panels attatch to by thumbscrews. The ease of removing these panels is great when you want to make a change to your case or your internal components. These cases also come already designed with cooling system installation in mind, and when ordering you can choose whether to space your fans for Swiftech or Thermochill radiators.

Once I placed my order, I got an email from customer service right away letting me know that the blue acrylic panels I had selected were on backorder. They wanted to know if I would prefer to wait on those, or select a different color. I liked that they contacted me about this, as opposed to assuming I would be happy to wait. I did in fact decide to wait on the blue, which was what my son wanted; but had we been in a hurry it is nice that they let us know right away and offered the option to change color panels and ship ASAP.

As the building plans progressed, I decided that I would be needing further small parts for the case from this company. I again visited their website to add to my order. This time, there was a notice up that they were moving their warehouse location, and to please bear with ...

• the slower service and contact time. I sent them an email about ammending my order, and they got back to me late afternoon of the next day. I had thought that it would take longer than that due to the notice, so I was pleased. I proceeded to add some feet and fan grill covers and other small items to my order.

The rep said that the blue panels had just arrived, and the entire order would be on its way right away. They stated that they had let their stock deplete some due to the upcoming warehouse move, and apologized for the inconvenience and delay on my panels and in the response time. I had really not thought that either was excessive, but they knocked a substantial amount off of my shipping as a thank you for being patient, which I thought was nice.

The product arrived on time and as expected. The packaging was intense. I do not see how any componenet shipped like that could ever possibly become damaged, unless the box were run over by a steamroller. Everything was shrinkwrapped, padded, etc to the point where opening the product felt like Christmas morning.

Once I got it all open, I encountered the first and only thing that I was not 100% thrilled with, there were no

instructions in the package. I visited their website, which does have instructions that are very thorough and include photos, but the instructions were somewhat difficult to locate on the site. After finding them, I began building the case; which looks complicated when eyeballing the mound of pieces and parts, but was very simple when following the guide. It took me about 30 minutes to build the case, and I had no difficulties.

I am the happier with this case than any other that I have ever used, and I have built many computers. It is very sturdy and visually appealing. These cases look especially awesome when using the acrylic panels, which are UV reactive, along with a cold cathode. Everyone who has seen this build comments on the case favorably, and wants one like it. I have installed every component I wanted to use, and I still have some space to grow and expand. They have a wide range of products, so if I had wanted a smaller or larger case with less/more features, they have it available. I thought that the customer service was excellent at this company.

Overall, I am so pleased with the value of the product and service I recieved from this company that I will be using them for all of my personal future builds, and reccommending them to my clients as my top pick.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 33608790990431/k2311a086/8.6.09