Babyville by Jane Green novel  » Books  »
  • However, I thought that overall Babyville was a pretty good book

• by keithcs

Babyville is a novel by Jane Green that focuses on the lives of three women. At the beginning of the novel, Julia is in a long-term relationship and is desperate to have a baby, Sam is married and expecting her first child, and Maeve is a commitment-phobic career woman with no plans of ever having a husband or children. Needless to say, all of their lives are

turned upside down through various changes that come along, some of them quite unexpectedly.

I had heard that Babyville was hilarious, so I was surprised that there were several parts of this novel that were just downright depressing. When Julia can’t get pregnant, she becomes incredibly depressed and even gets forced to take a leave of absence from her job. Maeve becomes unexpectedly pregnant and seriously considers abortion, and Sam has postpartum depression and thinks that the answer to her unhappiness is to have an affair or leave her husband. All of these bleak situations in the book made me feel disheartened and upset, especially since I was expecting a funny and lighthearted tale.

However, I thought that overall Babyville was a pretty good book. Though there are parts that are depressing, each ...

• Babyville by Jane Green novel
      character finds happiness in their own ways. I loved the way the writer introduced us to the characters as three different women, but then wove in details of each others’ lives and created friendships between them. I thought that there were some funny parts, but they were only funny because they were so true and they reminded me of different times in my own life, times that I
      wouldn’t really want to live through again.

I thought this book was really well written and it was easy to relate to the characters. I could see their flaws and see what they were doing wrong, and know that I had done some of these same things myself. It was a good book, just don’t pick it up if you are looking for an easy, fun read.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 17608790950431/k2311a086/8.6.09