Amish Acres Historic Farm and Heritage Resort  » Travel  »
1600 West Market Street, Nappanee, Indiana, USA
  • It smelled delicious, and despite the heat and early dinner time, I was hungry

• by Jessie Bahrey

When my elderly grandparents suggested a trip to Indiana to see a play and have dinner at Amish Acres, I was less than thrilled; I guess I was expecting a lame play, much like a church play, and less than appealing food. I wasn’t expecting to enjoy my day and evening as much as I did, but it was a great time, and well worth the long drive from their Michigan home.

I have seen the Amish along the roads of the US Midwest, either walking or riding in their horse-drawn buggies. They are almost common-place in some areas, so seeing this secretive group of people is less exciting than it was when I was a kid. While visiting my grandparents, my parents and I were informed that we were going

to go to the neighboring state of Indiana the next day to see a play (Oklahoma), and have dinner at an authentic Amish homestead. We grumbled a bit but departed early the next day for the 2 hour drive through the cornfields. We drove up to a huge compound, with a big red barn which was the theatre, many small houses, barns, sheds, stores and farm equipment. Apparently, there is also an Inn where there are rooms to stay the night, but we were just in time to see the matinee, so we filed into the huge barn with a wooden floor and stage and a great acoustic sound which almost echoed. The Round Barn Theater seats 400 people, and it was almost full. Contrary to what I thought, the ...

• actors and singers were extremely professional and excellent, and the two hours flew by. I was very impressed with the great show.

After the show, we walked to another building to have a ‘Threshers’ Dinner’ in the Restaurant Barn. It is a huge dining room, with large tables. For $19.99 per adult, you can have an all-you can-eat, authentic Amish and German meal. You are served by women wearing authentic Amish clothing, as everyone here wears this clothing, but you can just ask for me of anything you want. It smelled delicious, and despite the heat and early dinner time, I was hungry. We feasted on sausages, meat pies, relish, freshly baked bread and homemade churned butter, soup, cabbage salad, green beans with cold meat, smoked ham, beef, mashed potatoes and

much more that I have forgotten. We drank lemonade and ice-tea, and for dessert, not that we were hungry, we had freshly baked berry pie. It was all wonderful, delicious and hearty. The atmosphere in the dining room really makes you believe you are in an Amish community dining room.

On our way out, we stopped at the gift shop and I purchased some jam, pickles and a salt and pepper shaker with ‘Amish Acres’ on them. Surrounding the dining room are a meat and cheese store, fudgery, a garden store, a bakery and an antique store, so there is no shortage of opportunities to purchase souvenirs. My trip to Amish Acres was far from lame-the entertainment and food were excellent, and it allows visitors to catch a glimpse of authentic Amish life.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38408789390131/k2311a084/8.4.09