Almay Shade Sensing Foundation
0.5
  • After dropping what I think was around $8 dollars on this product, I opened up the bottle and examined the foundation
  • I decided to test the foundation on my skin, and sure enough, the beads mix in with the white lotion to create a light tan color

• by Felicia Martinez

I’ll admit that sometimes I’m a sucker for good advertising. After watching a commercial about Almay’s new Smart Shade Foundation, I was instantly skeptical. It was simply too good to be true.

However, it was like standing in line at a grocery store and reading that aliens were going to take over the planet in 5. 6 days, and buying the tabloid out of sheer curiosity.

I just had to see if this product really worked. The commercial claims that there are

magical shade sensing “smart beads” that will instantly cause the foundation to change to your skin’s exact tone.

“It starts out white, but adjusts to right!” says the voice over in the commercial. After dropping what I think was around $8 dollars on this product, I opened up the bottle and examined the foundation.

The foundation is indeed white, they weren’t lying about that part. The white foundation is full of these little brown beads that I’m guessing are supposed to be ...

• the “smart beads”.

After squishing them between my thumb and index finger I realized that these weren’t “smart beads” at all, they were little brown beads…full of dark brown dye… Seriously, Almay? Really? I decided to test the foundation on my skin, and sure enough, the beads mix in with the white lotion to create a light tan color. Now, I have to clarify that it was not MY light tan color, but one slightly more orange.

All you are doing

with this product is mixing brown dye with white lotion on your face. There are no smart beads, sorry.

Even if you get lucky and the result of this mixing is close to your natural skin tone, it offers very minimal coverage, and is a bit more like a tinted moisturizer than a foundation. I guess we can’t really blame Almay though, they must have made millions off of this product by curious fools like myself who wondered if shade sensing “smart beads” really do exist.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 31408789110131/k2311a084/8.4.09