Michelina’s Santa Fe Style Rice and Beans  » Food  »
  • If you wanted to reduce the amount of sodium in the meal, you could just as easily scoop out some of that artificial goop that’s supposed to be cheese and you’ll cut that amount down

• by Famous

One day, I was looking for something to eat that was light—something that would go well with an ordinary fried piece of chicken. It wasn’t until I got home that I realized that this was a “Lean Gourmet” kind of meal. This means that the fat was greatly reduced.

And there are only 310 calories in the serving. But here’s the kicker: One little container has

670 mg of sodium.

So, I often wonder how healthy these “lean” meals really are. In any case, I wasn’t too concerned with the meal’s healthy aspects; I had picked it up by accident.

I heated it in the microwave with the corner peeled up (to vent)—for about 3-4 minutes. I was a bit surprised when I opened the container because the cheese sauce was on the right ...

• side, while the rice and beans were on the left.

Then I realized that the sodium is all in the sauce. If you wanted to reduce the amount of sodium in the meal, you could just as easily scoop out some of that artificial goop that’s supposed to be cheese and you’ll cut that amount down.

In defense of the meal, I can honestly say that it was actually quite

tasty. The seasonings are such that you really do get a “Santa Fe” flavor.

If you do in fact mix all the cheese sauce with the rice, you will be rewarded with a really goopy, rice mixture. It tastes pretty good, and is a great alternative when you don’t have time to prepare another side dish.

But I wouldn’t eat these everyday—or every week for that matter.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 27408788901231/k2311a084/8.4.09