Jacksonville Jaguars Preseason
2.5
  • He had the right attitude and I thought he would be a coach the players would love and would love to play for
  • But, I’m not sure they have the best guys in the most important positions
  • I think Jones will end up having a great year for the Patriots now and the Jaguars will end up missing him by week 3
  • The biggest problem the Jaguars have is, at best, they are only the third best team in their division

• by Steve

When Jack Del Rio came to the Jacksonville Jaguars, I truly believed he would be the guy to get that franchise back on the right track and competing in the AFC South. He had the right attitude and I thought he would be a coach the players would love and would love to play for. I’m not sure about that last part but I’m not convinced he’s the right guy for the job any more. As they go through their training camp, the Jaguars are finding themselves in a period of transition. A lot of their long time players like Fred Taylor and Jimmy Smith are no longer with the team and they are trying to break in a new generation where that old generation left off.

I won’t fault them for making the changes and trying to become younger. But, I’m not sure they have the best guys in the most important positions. The main concern going into the new season is going to be quarterback David Garrard. A couple years ago, the

team decided to part with Byron Leftwich and give Garrard the opportunity to be a starter.

He had a great season for them. Last year, he wasn’t as great. There are a lot of factors that could have contributed to that obviously and I won’t say making him a starter was a mistake. But, let’s say he does end of struggling, the team only has Todd Bouman and Paul Smith to fall back on and neither of those guys have me thinking playoffs.

That’s why I was a bit surprised the Jaguars didn’t pursue Michael Vick when he became available. Sure, he would be a controversial signing. But, he would also give them someone who (assuming he is still in shape) could be a solid back up and potential starter if needed. Of course, I am also still a bit shocked the team decided to get rid of Fred Jones.

Yes, he was getting up there in age and was no longer a featured back. But, even though they do have Maurice Jones-Drew, every ...

• football fan knows the best teams are teams that have two good running backs in the backfield. Even in a back up roll, Jones had more rushing yards than many starting running backs in the league. Why would you want to get rid of that production? The Bears thought they could do it when they got rid of Thomas Jones a couple years ago and that came back to haunt them big time.

I think Jones will end up having a great year for the Patriots now and the Jaguars will end up missing him by week 3. I did like the signing of Torry Holt, however. They made a huge mistake with Jerry Porter last year but I think this signing of an aging veteran will actually pay off for them. Porter was in decline with the Raiders.

Holt still has the ability to produce. However, I do wonder how much not playing home games in a dome will hurt his production. If he flops, the Jaguars are going to be wiping a

lot of egg off their faces once again. The biggest problem the Jaguars have is, at best, they are only the third best team in their division.

The Titans are much more talented than they are, especially on defense and I have yet to see them give the Colts any sort of real competition. The latter might change with the coaching change Indianapolis is going through but, as long as they have Peyton Manning, I doubt it will. The way I look at it, the Jaguars are trying to make some changes to become a better team. The problem is, they aren’t making the right changes and, with the loss of Jones and with them gambling on the same quarterback and another older receiver, I think they might have actually taken a step backwards.

Given the fact their division is one of the tougher ones in the league, I think the team loses some ground this year. I can see them finishing 7-9 or worse and more than likely will be looking for a new head coach when it is all said and done.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 35408788501231/k2311a084/8.4.09