Cleveland Browns Preseason  » Sport  »
2.0
  • Unfortunately for the Browns, their woes don’t just end at the coaching level
  • I think Quinn has more upside of the two but I think they would have been better off finding someone else entirely
  • That is a good move but I’m not convinced they have the right personnel in place to run that kind of defense, which was the problem in the first place

• by Steve

I’m old enough to remember the controversy created when the Browns left Cleveland and became the Baltimore Ravens and the decision by the NFL to bring an expansion team to that city as a way to compromise. Today, I wonder why they even bothered. The Browns haven’t been in the playoffs since their second season back in the league and I honestly don’t see things getting better for them. First of all is the coaching change they made this year. Romeo Crennel had to go. But, when you make a change, you normally look for someone who is an improvement.

I’m not certain Eric Mangini is. I honestly don’t even know why the Browns were so determined to land him either. They guy had a losing record with the Jets and is a Bill Belichick protégé like Crennel. How is that bringing change to an ailing franchise?

Unfortunately for the Browns, their woes don’t just end at the coaching level. Their roster has to be one of the weakest in the league.

This is

especially true at quarterback. They have a choice, Derek Anderson or Brady Quinn. I think Quinn has more upside of the two but I think they would have been better off finding someone else entirely. You can’t tell me they couldn’t upgrade that spot in free agency or the draft. I know they traded up to get Quinn.

But, that can’t be the only reason you are giving the guy a shot. It’s the same as letting some kid play pee-wee football just because he hasn’t had a chance to yet. I think Brett Ratliff might have just as much of a chance of being the best player on the team than Quinn. The running back situation is questionable at best. Jamal Lewis has been be a good player for them since coming from the Ravens.

But, he’s taken a lot of hits over his career and is no longer as good as he used to be. I just don’t see anyone else on the roster that could replace him if he finally breaks ...

• down. Noah Herron would be the only other proven veteran but he’s only a third down back at best. The team also inexplicitly started purging its roster at several other positions. They traded tight end Kellen Winslow, who was a bit of a headache but still a playmaker and are now fielding an offense that really doesn’t have anyone who will scare a defense.

What are they hoping to do? Score all of their points on defense? They don’t have anyone who can run or pass the ball from what I can tell right now. They also brought in a coach that will likely try to maintain a 3-4 defense like the one Crennel was running. That is a good move but I’m not convinced they have the right personnel in place to run that kind of defense, which was the problem in the first place. And, let’s face it, they don’t exactly play in a division that is going to reward them for being a mediocre franchise. If they played in the AFC

West, they might get away with it.

But, they play in the AFC North and have to face both the Baltimore Ravens and Pittsburgh Steelers twice. I shouldn’t have to remind you that those were the two teams in the AFC Championship game last season. I think the third team in the division, the Bengals, also has more overall talent than the Browns do; and roughly the same amount of talent when it comes to coaching. The Browns might have some high hopes heading into this season and might think hiring an underachieving coach to lead their franchise will make a huge difference; along with going on a purge and bringing in younger talent. I, however, predict something else.

And, I don’t do this for just any team. I think the Browns will win 2, maybe 3 games this year and will hold the top pick in next year’s NFL draft. They were brought back into the league as an expansion team and I think they have just as much talent on their roster now as they did back then. And, that’s not meant to be a compliment.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 35308787820531/k2311a083/8.3.09