Bob Dylan - Desire
  • To be honest, most of these tracks just strike me as solid but there are also some tracks which I personally think are good songs and even one track on here which I think is one of Dylan's best in his entire career
  • Despite being about eight and a half minutes, this song doesn’t get boring my opinion at all, particularly because of Dylan’s excellent lyrics, and I personally think it’s a great way to open up the record, very energetic
  • The violin on this track goes extremely well with Dylan’s vocals because it definitely adds a bit of a melancholy tone to the track which is exactly how I’d describe Dylan’s voice on the track
  • If you enjoyed Hurricane and wouldn’t mind a slower song with a similar feel, Joey would be the track
  • If Dylan wouldn’t have sounded emotional on this track then this would honestly be a terrible waste of brilliant lyrics, but Dylan sounds emotional as ever on this track and I’d say this is easily the best song on the entire album, brilliant songwriting

• by Grimmy101

Overview - Desire, Bob Dylan’s seventeenth studio album, features a lot of storytelling lyrics and even biographical lyrics, as heard on Hurricane and on Joey. To be honest, most of these tracks just strike me as solid but there are also some tracks which I personally think are good songs and even one track on here which I think is one of Dylan’s best in his entire career. Vocally, Dylan does a good job throughout most of the album and he’s able to convey emotion through his voice, something extremely important - especially when you have lyrics as good as his. Musically, most of the album is pretty laid back and mellow, even dark in some songs, aside from two tracks on here which are a bit more energetic. There are still some songs on here which I’m not too sure how I feel about, it feels as if they have great potential but they’re hard to get into, so I’m still undecided about some of this record, but overall it’s pretty strong, just doesn’t touch Dylan’s earlier work though.

The Tracks -

1. Hurricane - Hurricane opens up Desire with a song filled with storytelling lyrics, based on an actual story, although I’m not sure how accurate they actually are to what Dylan’s writing about. Nevertheless, Dylan’s lyrics on this track are excellent his vocal delivery goes extremely well with it. Another nice thing is that it features a wider instrumentation then just an acoustic guitar, Dylan’s voice, and a harmonica, which is the case in a lot of Dylan songs. Along with Dylan’s vocals and an acoustic guitar this song also features a violin along with congas, both of which add a special touch to the song. Dylan also has some background singers on this track which add a bit more power to his voice in some spots of the song. Despite being about eight and a half minutes, this song doesn’t get boring my opinion at all, particularly because of Dylan’s excellent lyrics, and I personally think it’s a great way to

open up the record, very energetic.

2. Isis - While Hurricane was a more energetic track, Isis is much more laid back song and features more basic instrumentation, although it does still have the violin in there. Now even though Hurricane still a bit longer than this song, by about a minute and a half, I didn’t get bored listening to Hurricane at all, but Isis I do get pretty bored with. Dylan’s lyrics on this track are strong, of course, but his vocal melody really just doesn’t do anything for me and it just sounds boring after a few minutes of it, no way I could listen through all seven minutes of this. Dylan’s vocal delivery does get slightly better towards the last minute or so of the song, but by then, it’s honestly just too late for me to continue listening to it.

3. Mozambique - Unlike either of the first two tracks, Mozambique has a bit more of a cheery tone to it and it’s a bit more upbeat. Dylan’s backed by a female background singer on this track, and I personally don’t really see why, I personally think he’d sound fine without her, but that’s just my opinion. On some tracks, the backing vocals work extremely well, like on the track to follow this one, but on here it just doesn’t seem to do too much. I’m not really a huge fan of this song either, it’s significantly shorter than the first three tracks but it seems to lack depth to it and also just emotion, really don’t care for this track too much.

4. One More Cup Of Coffee (Valley Below) - As I said, the previous track isn’t really benefited by the use of background vocals too much, but this one certainly is. The violin on this track goes extremely well with Dylan’s vocals because it definitely adds a bit of a melancholy tone to the track which is exactly how I’d describe Dylan’s voice on the track. Like Mozambique, this song is also significantly shorter than the first two opening ...

• tracks of the record, but to be honest I’d have to say it’s better than Isis, despite lacking the same depth, although not quite as good as Hurricane. Dylan has an excellent vocal performance on this track though which goes very nicely with the music behind him.

5. Oh, Sister - To be honest, at first I’d have to say that I really didn’t like this track at all and just couldn’t really see anything good about it at all. Now, I still don’t particularly like the track all that much but I will say that Dylan gives another great vocal performance, the female backing vocals on this track do help him on this track as well just like on the previous song. The lyrics are definitely on the sad side and Dylan probably shows the most emotion he has so far on this track. The only negative I have to say about this track is that it doesn’t flow all that well and Dylan’s melody could’ve been better to do more justice to his performance and his lyrics, not bad though.

6. Joey - Similar to Hurricane, Joey is a story which has lyrics about an actual person - the mobster Joey Gallo. Despite this similarity, Joey is a much more mellow track compared to Hurricane and seems to pass quite a bit slower. I’m not too sure how I feel about this track right now, although I do like it a bit more now than what I used to. This song passes a bit slowly for me and seems to go on for quite a while, even longer than eleven minutes, but I’m just not sure if Dylan’s lyrics are strong enough to save the track, I’m a bit undecided. If you enjoyed Hurricane and wouldn’t mind a slower song with a similar feel, Joey would be the track. It feels as if I’m really missing out on something on this track, so I’m going to give it a few more tries.

7. Romance In Durango - Romance In Durango is yet another mellow

track and the lyrics once again lean more towards storytelling. Musically, the song has some Spanish tones to it and Dylan even sings a couple lines of lyrics in Spanish himself. Like Joey, I like this song more now than I used to but I still wouldn’t say it’s one of the better songs on the record. Pretty good vocal delivery by Dylan which is accompanied well with the female background singer and overall not a bad song.

8. Black Diamond Bay - Black Diamond Bay has a much more energetic and upbeat feel to it, really the only energetic track on the album along with Hurricane. I think Dylan’s voice is alright on this song, but I really enjoy his lyrics on this track and particularly his use of rhyme. The song does feature some outside instrumentation on this track as well, like most of the album does, but this song is basically carried by Dylan’s lyrics for its length, seven and a half minutes. Thankfully his delivery doesn’t get boring at all and his lyrics are easily strong enough to carry this song. This track actually used to be my favorite from this record, but I’d have to say now my favorite is the track to follow.

9. Sara - Sara is easily the darkest, most personal, and most emotional track on this entire album. Right from the start the mood is extremely grim just with the harmonica line and the simple bassline playing underneath it. Dylan comes in with definitely the saddest tone that he’s had this entire album which matches, what I would consider, his best lyrics on this album. I’ve said in some of my past reviews that some singers have problems conveying the emotion of their lyrics through their voices, but that certainly isn’t the case here. If Dylan wouldn’t have sounded emotional on this track then this would honestly be a terrible waste of brilliant lyrics, but Dylan sounds emotional as ever on this track and I’d say this is easily the best song on the entire album, brilliant songwriting.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 14208786070431/k2311a082/8.2.09