Jefferson Airplane - Crown Of Creation
  • I'll end that in my personal experience, I thought the first half of this record was average and had a couple good songs but overall wasn't anything too special, but the second half is much much better
  • The first six tracks are from side I of the record and the remaining tracks are from side II, personally I think side II is much better
  • Kaukonen has a very rock driven solo on this track which goes alright with the rest of the track I'd say, overall it's average work in my opinion
  • I don't personally find the song amazing but if I was in a very mellow mood then I'm sure that I would, good work, just not really for me
  • The previous ten tracks may not have all been exactly cheery and upbeat, but they definitely didn't have the darker tone that this song has, it's great contrast

• by Grimmy101

Overview - Crown Of Creation, Jefferson Airplane’s fourth effort, is primarily a pretty upbeat record with both energetic and melodic songs. The album features vocal performances by Slick, Balin, Kaukonen, and Kantner so it’s a very nice mix whether they’re singing alone, which is good, or whether they’re singing together, which is better. Musically the album has some excellent basslines throughout by Jack Casady which may not be extremely difficult or technical but they work with the songs very well. Kaukonen also has some great guitar leads throughout this record as well, in some songs he would basically just be soloing throughout which reminded me of some of the work he did on Surrealistic Pillow. I’ll end that in my personal experience, I thought the first half of this record was average and had a couple good songs but overall wasn’t anything too special, but the second half is much much better. The first six tracks are from side I of the record and the remaining tracks are from side II, personally I think side II is much better.

The Tracks -

1. Lather - First off, the guitars throughout this whole song are excellent and are able to set up a great atmosphere for Slick to sing over. Slick gives her vocals in an extremely laid back and very melodic delivery which goes along with the guitars on this song very well. I wouldn’t say that the song is extremely catchy by any means, but Slick makes the vocal melody work well enough and sounds very good in her actual tone. There isn’t much energy behind this track either but it isn’t a terrible way to open the record.

2. In Time - Just as on the opening track, the guitar work on this song is very good and sets up a good atmosphere for Kantner to sing over. I’d say that the vocal performance during the first verse is average and there

isn’t anything too great going on, but once the chorus starts up the song gets progressively better. The chorus itself has better lyrics, better vocals due to use of background vocals as well, and this is the point where I’m really starting to take note of Casady’s bassline. Kaukonen has a very rock driven solo on this track which goes alright with the rest of the track I’d say, overall it’s average work in my opinion.

3. Triad (David Crosby Cover) - Since the song is a cover I won’t comment very much on the actual structure or songwriting but I will say that the guitar parts throughout this song are great once again and set up an excellent mood for Slick once again. The song is extremely melodic but Slick is able to fit it very well with her vocals, similar to Lather but even more mellow than that track. The song isn’t really driven musically at all, but carried completely by Slick’s voice and the acoustic guitar work to a lesser extent. I don’t personally find the song amazing but if I was in a very mellow mood then I’m sure that I would, good work, just not really for me.

4. Star Track - Star Track has an excellent opening bassline to go with Kaukonen’s lead guitar work. Excellent vocal performance by Kaukonen along with great guitar work throughout the whole track, I also have to acknowledge Casady’s bassline on this track which helps carry the rhythm quite a bit. Kaukonen has a pretty long wah solo on this track and honestly this song is really led by him, excellent song, my favorite so far.

5. Share A Little Joke - Share A Little Joke starts out in the same way as Star Track as far as having Casady’s bassline being the rhythm under Kaukonen’s lead guitar work. Marty Balin sings lead on this track and I don’t personally think it’s ...

• that good, but it isn’t bad work either, he actually demonstrates a pretty nice range throughout this song. Kaukonen has another solo layered with effects over his guitar which is decent as well, but not really like Star Track. Overall, this song is just decent and doesn’t really have anything too great about it.

6. Chushingura - Chushingura is definitely the most experimental track on the record so far, and probably the most experimental on the entire album. The instrumentation is very basic with just drums, and not really with traditional drum beats either, and sound effects going on. The song is just slightly than over a minute long so it’s worth listening to if the instrumentation and description appeals to you, which I thought was an interesting idea but I just didn’t really like the execution of the track.

7. If You Feel - If You Feel is another song where Martin Balin sings lead and I personally think he sounds a lot better on this song than on Share A Little Joke. The main reason of this is probably because this track is just a lot more energetic in general whereas Share A Little Joke was slightly more laid back, but Balin sounds great on here. Kaukonen basically has lead guitar work going on throughout the whole track which I personally really like, it reminds me of what he would do on Surrealistic Pillow. Very upbeat song which is full of nothing but energy, great track, probably my second favorite to Star Track so far.

8. Crown Of Creation - The vocal harmony during the intro of this song, even the whole song actually, is just excellent and Casady backs it very well with another one of his basslines. The other tracks seemed to showcase how each vocalist was good separately, but this is the first track where they really sound great singing together. Kaukonen has more excellent guitar work throughout this

song which goes well with Casady’s bassline and the song has a great energy throughout. Excellent vocal performance on this track, very good song.

9. Ice Cream Phoenix - Like the previous track, this track showcases how well all of the vocalists can sound singing together rather than separately. Although I personally prefer the vocals more on Crown Of Creation, this track still has a very good vocal delivery from all of the members singing. Kaukonen has lead guitar work scattered throughout the song, under the vocals, but doesn’t really get his own traditional solo on this track which would’ve been nice. Nevertheless, another good song, this side of the record has just been much better than the first side.

10. Greasy Heart - Grace Slick takes lead vocals on this track and I don’t have a problem with it at all since she sounds great on this track. Her vocal delivery and melody sort of reminds me of another Jefferson Airplane song, but it isn’t a big deal, just an observation. This track is very rock driven, sort of like Star Track, and probably one of the most rock driven tracks of the entire record. Kaukonen once again has great lead guitar work which highly contributes to the feel of this track along with Casady’s bassline. Another excellent song for this side of the record, great work.

11. The House At Pooneil Corners - This track goes back to showcases multiple vocalists on a track rather than just Slick or someone else by themselves. This track seems to have a slightly darker feel than the other songs on the record, especially musically, but also vocally. It’s actually a very good way to end the record. The previous ten tracks may not have all been exactly cheery and upbeat, but they definitely didn’t have the darker tone that this song has, it’s great contrast. Obviously the vocals create this mood, but also Kaukonen’s guitar work and especially Casady’s bass - everything just works together very well on this track and it’s an excellent way to end this record.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 14208786060431/k2311a082/8.2.09