The Beatles - Beatles For Sale
  • It's hard for me to review an early Beatles record in full because after a while, they honestly just get boring for me to listen to - not that the songs are boring but because all of the songs are pretty close to one another
  • If you were to listen to each track one at a time I'm basically positive there wouldn't be a song you'd consider just terrible, or at least that was the case with me
  • I’ll Follow The Sun - I’d have to say that I’ll Follow The Sun is definitely the most mature composition on this record so far, and surprisingly, it’s written and sung by McCartney
  • To me, the song isn’t too interesting but I will say that some of the percussion, the Indian drum, adds a very nice touch to the song
  • Not a bad song at all, pretty solid but not amazing

• by Grimmy101

Overview - Beatles For Sale, the Beatles’ fourth effort, is just packed with fourteen songs, both covers and originals, of excellent vocal performances, very natural flowing songs, and a steady energy throughout all the tracks. It’s hard for me to review an early Beatles record in full because after a while, they honestly just get boring for me to listen to - not that the songs are boring but because all of the songs are pretty close to one another. Aside from I’ll Wait For The Sun, the rest of the songs on this album all honestly feel pretty similar to me, and after thirteen tracks of this, it draws boring. If you were to listen to each track one at a time I’m basically positive there wouldn’t be a song you’d consider just terrible, or at least that was the case with me. Overall I’d have to say that the tracks on this record are good on their own, but when you listen to the whole record front to back, it can get pretty boring if you’re not a huge fan of pop music, like I am.

The Tracks -

1. No Reply - No Reply opens up this record with storytelling lyrics which are more on the sad side, complimented with Lennon and McCartney’s vocals where they actually sound quite powerful, especially together, in some parts. Lennon’s able to set up a clear story with his lyrics and he’s able to go from a very mellow and calm delivery to a more aggressive delivery with more power behind his voice, nice showcase of range.

2. I’m A Loser - Unlike on No Reply where none of the instruments really caught my attention at all, McCartney’s bassline really catches my attention on this track and it gives the song a nice rhythm. The vocals aren’t quite as impressive as on No Reply but I’d say that this song is better musically just due to McCartney’s bassline on the track. This song also continues in the same energetic feel that No Reply had in some parts.

3. Baby’s In

Black - While No Reply and I’m A Loser both had some parts which were pretty energetic, Baby’s In Black stays on the mellow side throughout it’s entire length. Lennon and McCartney once again sound great together, something that goes without saying, and overall the song is just solid - it doesn’t really have anything that stands out to me but at the same time it doesn’t really have any flaws to it, just solid songwriting.

4. Rock And Roll Music (Chuck Berry Cover) - Rock And Roll Music is the first track on the record that’s basically very energetic throughout the whole thing and Lennon sounds very fitting on the song. To go with Lennon’s voice, and the whole band basically, George Martin’s piano sounds great and is an excellent touch to this cover. Just great energy behind this whole track and an excellent flow throughout.

5. I’ll Follow The Sun - I’d have to say that I’ll Follow The Sun is definitely the most mature composition on this record so far, and surprisingly, it’s written and sung by McCartney. The lyrics on this track are significantly darker than any of the other songs so far and McCartney sounds very dark in his tone as well. Although the song is very short, a bit under two minutes, this song still sounds much more developed and more thought out than any of the first five tracks. Excellent vocal performance by McCartney and very good songwriting here.

6. Mr. Moonlight (Roy Lee Johnson Cover) - Mr. Moonlight goes back to Lennon on lead vocals and he sounds quite fitting on this song, just as McCartney did on the previous track. Lennon’s vocal tone and delivery is, for lack of a better word, almost mesmerizing - something The Beatles would do a lot more with their psychedelic period. To me, the song isn’t too interesting but I will say that some of the percussion, the Indian drum, adds a very nice touch to the song.

7. Kansas City/Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey (Covers) - Kansas City goes back to the energetic feel throughout, although ...

• to a lesser extent than Rock And Roll Music. McCartney sings lead on this track rather than Lennon, and personally I don’t think it sounds that great, but not terrible. Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey continues in the same feel as Kansas City had but unfortunately doesn’t have anything too special about it. For some reason I really don’t like these two covers very much, they’re not terrible but they don’t sound that great to me.

8. Eight Days A Week - Eight Days A Week is an extremely catchy song, probably the catchiest on this entire album, and has a nice steady feel to it. It isn’t melodic to the point of I’ll Follow The Sun but it isn’t energetic to the point of Rock And Roll Music, it’s a nice mix somewhere in between. The lyrics are very simple and straightforward, like the majority of this record, but Lennon’s vocal melody is just excellent and the song has a nice upbeat feel to it, good work here.

9. Words Of Love (Buddy Holly Cover) - Great vocal performance by Lennon and McCartney on this track as well, very calm delivery by each of them which fits with the music very nicely. This is actually the first track where I actually took note of the hand claps, as a side note I don’t like them, but they don’t get in the way of the song too much. Words Of Love is just a pretty mellow track with a very calm vocal delivery by Lennon and McCartney.

10. Honey Don’t (Carl Perkins Cover) - Honey Don’t is the first song on this album where Ringo Starr sings lead rather than McCartney or Lennon, and he doesn’t sound too bad at it either to be honest. I don’t like Starr’s tone anywhere near as much as Lennon’s or McCartney’s, but he isn’t that bad a singer, he’s just very limited in his vocal range. This is also the first track to feature a guitar solo by George Harrison, and although it’s nothing very special, it’s just interesting that his first solo doesn’t

show up until the tenth track on the record. Not a bad song at all, pretty solid but not amazing.

11. Every Little Thing - Every Little Thing continues with the same feel as a lot of these songs have: a mix between mellow and energetic with a good harmony performance by Lennon and McCartney on vocals. At this point in the record I’m honestly getting slightly bored of this feel, since just about all the songs have it, but if I were to listen to it on it’s own then it’s not a bad song.

12. I Don’t Want To Spoil The Party - I Don’t Want To Spoil The Party has a slightly darker tone to it, although not to a huge extent, both in Lennon’s delivery but more so in his lyrics. Harrison has another solo on this track which is a nice touch, if he had more of these throughout the record I’m sure it would’ve helped a bit. At this point in the record, after hearing twelve songs which all sound around the same, it’s getting a bit boring I’d have to say.

13. What You’re Doing - To start off, I’ll say that Starr has an interesting drum intro on this track, at least it’s something different than the other songs. Once again, the vocal delivery is slightly a bit darker on this track which is a nice change from the rest of the record which is more upbeat and cheerful for the most part, something that can get boring extremely fast. Also, the extremely low piano in this song towards the middle of it adds a nice touch, more solid songwriting.

14. Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby (Carl Perkins Cover) - The final track of this record actually features George Harrison on lead vocals rather than McCartney or Lennon, so each Beatle sang lead on at least one track on this record. The Beatles end this record with a more energetic song which I’d say is a pretty smart move. Like just about all the other songs, good vocal performance and just a nice energy throughout.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 14208785391131/k2311a082/8.2.09