Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks  » Music  »
  • The song really doesn’t have a break until the very end, so basically it’s really five minutes of Dylan singing but his lyrics really help this track and I don’t find it boring at all, this track makes me very hopeful for the rest of the record
  • Simple Twist Of Fate - Simple Twist Of Fate is a lot more basic and stripped-down sounding than Tangled Up In Blue, but this isn’t a problem with Dylan at all, it’s merely an observation and a contrast of tracks
  • Meet Me In The Morning - Meet Me In The Morning is another mellow track which has a bit more of a blues-based feeling to it in my opinion
  • Dylan doesn’t sound bad in his tone, but to me I think he’s sort of “over-singing” for lack of a better way to describe it

• by Grimmy101

Overview - Blood On The Tracks, Bob Dylan’s fifteenth effort, is a much better record than the past few records Dylan had put out at that time. The majority of the lyrics on this record are done from a storytelling point of view which Dylan proves he is still able to do very well. For the most part, Dylan sounds very fitting vocally and really doesn’t have that bad a tone for most of the songs, surprisingly. Even certain sections of the music on this album are excellent: You’re A Big Girl Now for example has a brilliant instrumental opening of guitars and songs like Tangled Up In Blue has an excellent guitar part throughout. Dylan has a lot of positives about this record and to be honest, surprisingly, it’s extremely strong - especially if you compare it to the past few records he put out before this one.

The Tracks -

1. Tangled Up In Blue - Tangled Up In Blue starts off the record with storytelling lyrics which allow Dylan to create a pretty clear story just from his words. Although it isn’t a huge deal, I actually have to say that the guitar part on this song sounds pretty good, just the tone of it and it seems to go well with the rest of the song. More importantly, Dylan sounds as if he’s putting a lot of energy into his singing and it does show through, he sounds pretty good on the track, particularly during the chorus. The song really doesn’t have a break until the very end, so basically it’s really five minutes of Dylan singing but his lyrics really help this track and I don’t find it boring at all, this track makes me very hopeful for the rest of the record.

2. Simple Twist Of Fate - Simple Twist Of Fate is a lot more basic and stripped-down sounding than Tangled Up In Blue, but this isn’t a problem with Dylan at all, it’s merely an observation and a contrast of tracks. Dylan doesn’t sound as energetic during

the verses, but then again the verses aren’t as energetic musically so it wouldn’t fit anyway, however he still sounds as if he’s putting quite a bit of effort into singing some lines before the chorus and it works nicely. This song also continues with the storytelling lyrics, but I don’t think they’re really as good as Tangled Up In Blue, still a good track overall though.

3. You’re A Big Girl Now - Just the opening instrumental section with all the guitars playing sounds excellent, sort of feels like a more melodic version of Tangled Up In Blue to me. This song is much more laid back than either of the first two tracks and Dylan sounds more emotional on this track than on the first two as well. Although Dylan may’ve sounded fitting on the first two tracks, he didn’t really sound too emotional, but this track changes that. For a while I wasn’t really a fan of this song, but after hearing his voice mixed with the very nice guitar lines on here, I really enjoy this song a lot more. Excellent vocal performance by Dylan on this track along with good lyrics, which goes without saying really.

4. Idiot Wind - Idiot Wind returns to the storytelling type lyrics that the first two tracks had, but unlike the first two tracks, I really don’t like Dylan’s vocals on this track too much. For a lot of parts of this song Dylan just sounds a bit out of his range and doesn’t have a tone that I really like for the most part. However, since the song is nearly eight minutes long I have a lot of time to get used to, or at least get past, Dylan’s vocal tone. If I get past Dylan’s tone then the rest of the song really isn’t that bad, the organ behind Dylan is steady throughout the whole song and is something nice to go with his voice. Although I don’t like his voice on the track, Dylan’s lyrics are pretty strong, really eight minutes of ...

• good lyrical performance, and help to save the track.

5. You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go - I have to say that I’m not a big fan of Dylan’s voice on this track either, although it’s better than how it was on Idiot Wind, but also like Idiot Wind, the lyrics are great. While most of the other songs on this album have lyrics that are more storytelling, this song has a bit of that but it also has quite a few pretty poetic lines that I personally really like, nice lyrical touch. This song is also significantly shorter than the other tracks to come before it so it’s a bit more straightforward and accessible as well.

6. Meet Me In The Morning - Meet Me In The Morning is another mellow track which has a bit more of a blues-based feeling to it in my opinion. Dylan’s vocal performance is quite a bit different than his performance on any of the other tracks so far. Dylan doesn’t sound bad in his tone, but to me I think he’s sort of “over-singing” for lack of a better way to describe it. It’s just sort of strange since the music is so mellow and then Dylan’s singing over it in probably his loudest and most aggressive delivery on this album yet. To me, it’s sort of just a boring track overall and Dylan doesn’t really fit with his music too well for once on this one.

7. Lily, Rosemary, And The Jack Of Hearts - This track is also extremely long, nearly nine minutes, but this track is more on the fast side and has a better feel to it than Idiot Wind in my opinion. Like a lot of the other songs on this album, the lyrics of this album are storytelling and Dylan creates yet another situation out of his words. Dylan’s back to a much better vocal tone and sounds much more fitting on this track than the previous song. Excellent lyrics by Dylan, probably some of his best storytelling on this album,

mixed with a very energetic and fitting vocal delivery, much better track than I originally thought.

8. If You See Her, Say Hello - After the previous track which was just full of energy, Dylan goes back to the very melodic and mellow feel that some of the previous tracks had. Thankfully, Dylan sounds just perfect singing on this song and once again you can hear the emotion of his words conveyed through his voice in certain parts of the song. The lyrics of this song are actually pretty sad and dark during some parts of it which fits with the very melancholy tone of the guitars. Yet another great vocal performance by Dylan, excellent songwriting.

9. Shelter From The Storm - Shelter From The Storm returns to the storytelling lyrics that Dylan uses a lot throughout this album, but once again, it’s very strong. The song doesn’t really have a mood to me: it doesn’t sound very happy like Lily Rosemary, And The Jack Of Hearts but at the same time it doesn’t really sound dark like the previous track, If You See Her, Say Hello. Although I’d say that this song is still very strong overall, there are actually quite a few other tracks on this album which I’d say are better - this should give you an idea of just how good this album is.

10. Buckets Of Rain - Whereas Shelter From The Storm seemed to lack a mood in my opinion, Buckets Of Rain has a dark mood to it. I’m a bit unsure as to how I feel about Dylan’s vocals on this track. On one hand, I can hear emotion in his voice, but at the same time I’m really not a big fan of his vocal melody or actual tone on this track. Right now I’d have to say that this song is average: not really a track that I don’t really enjoy at all, like Meet Me In The Morning, but at the same time it’s nowhere close to the highlights of this album like If You See Her, Say Hello.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 14208785321131/k2311a082/8.2.09