Quantum Hitech Gamepad  » Games  »
  • I have played a lot of games, but first person shooter and racing games are my favourite genres
  • But as I dont have a console, I thought of buying at least a gamepad, just to get the feel
  • But I think that its build material should have been of a better quality
  • I completed NFS most wanted recently and had a completely different experience, other than that with a keyboard
  • But unfortunately, last week while I was playing some game, I accidentally pulled the cord a little bit too much

• by toxictaz

I am an avid PC gamer. I have played a lot of games, but first person shooter and racing games are my favourite genres. Having played almost every Need for Speed game ever released from NFS 1 to Prostreet( I am yet to lay my hands on Undercover)I kind of thought about playing those games on a console. But as I dont have a console, I thought of buying at least a gamepad, just to get the feel. There were a lot of options in the market, I did a great deal of research on the internet but could not decide which one to buy. So I asked by friend for his help. He recommended a few high end gamepads, which were obviously beyond my reach. I even thought of buying one online, but the shipping charge made it more costly.

While I was still in the dilemma, one day my same friend gifted me this quantum hitech gamepad. I was simply flabbergasted! The device has got 4 action keys and 4 navigation keys, 4 shoulder keys and it does not have the analog sticks nor the vibration. But

this was my very first gamepad so I was really excited. Quantum hitech gamepad fits in the PC through a USB port. This was not known to me. The device was instantly identified as soon as I plugged it in. But, sadly, there was no support CD which could explain the more about the device. I opened the control panel and clicked on game controllers. The gamepad was listed there and I could move the cursor by pressing the buttons, which made me take a sigh of relief because I have had numerous bad experiences with brand new products.

About the build quality, yeah I like it. Although it does not have a very innovative design or some cool features like air flow to keep your hands sweat free, but I still like it. Playing racing games on PC with a keyboard leaves you with cramped fingers after a couple of hours. I do have never felt anything like that using it. But I think that its build material should have been of a better quality. Your hands do sweat after a while, and makes your grip loose. So,

• maybe some rubber or any other soaking material should have been used. Another thing, its cable is of probably 2 meter length. I can play my games easily from a distance, which was ofcourse not possible with a keyboard. One of the problems that I came accross was its loose plug. Whenever its cable stretched a little, the device got unplugged. It did not fit in the USB port perfectly. So many a times, even while playing games, the device stopped working. So I had to replug it in the port.

As far as performance is concerned, it totally rocks. But due to the lack of analog buttons, (i.e. the small joysticks) playing first person or even third person games is a difficult affair. I tried playing FEAR and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory using this gamepad but it was all choppy. The four navigation buttons are not enough to let you play FPS or TPS. However, playing racing games with it is a charm. I completed NFS most wanted recently and had a completely different experience, other than that with a keyboard. The navigation buttons are very responsive as

a result, controlling the car even in the most dangerous of tracks is easy. But I think a vibration mechanism should have been there. It would have added the fun. I checked its price on the internet and found out that it was real cheap. Cheaper than any other good gamepad. But looking at its performance, it is a very decent device.

But unfortunately, last week while I was playing some game, I accidentally pulled the cord a little bit too much. As a result, it stopped working. The gamepad comes without any warranty so I opened it myself trying to fix it. But I could do nothing. I checked for some broken wires or anything unusual in there, but couldnt find any. I am thinking of dumping it and buying a new one, maybe of some more reputed brand which comes with a warranty. I would not suggest you to buy this gamepad if you are a serious gamer. But if you just want to discover how it feels to play games with a gamepad and do not mind about its durability, you can think of buying it.

Graven says :

i got na small disc but they are asking me for direct DX,,, am confuse

John says :

Graven, you should download the lastest version of Direct X on your computer. Here’s a link to a Microsoft page that shows you how it done:

kunal says :

hi guys, my quantum gamepad is not showing up like it comes that nthing is connected .when i connect it firstly it says new hardwre found but after tat it doesn`t work…… now what to do????? please help?????

John says :

Kunal, it likely that this is a driver related problem if windows is not finding the hardware. However, you should try plugging it into a different port just to be sure. Also open the device manager and right click on the gamepad and click uninstall. Reboot your PC and windows should automatically reinstall the driver.

abhmanyu roat says :

hey please help me my quantum gamepad is not working good sometimes it works but the x and y axis are not working correctly please help me

John says :

If all the rest of the keys are working, it means that it’s a defect with those individual buttons. The sensor is likely going bad. There’s nothing that can be done by an average person to repair the buttons. If you’re under warranty I would suggest contacting Quantum to have it replaced.

rohit says :

should i buy this?do the buttons need to be pressed hard?

dean carter says :

The buttons should be pressed as hard or soft as you want, unless the game you’re playing requires you to press it with a certain amount of sensitivity.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 28108784681231/k2311a081/8.1.09