(500) Days of Summer movie  » Movies  »
  • If you like romantic comedies this is, in my opinion, the best of the year

• by Ronzarelli

If you like romantic comedies this is, in my opinion, the best of the year. Believe it or not, as a fan of all things romantic, I’ve a very low tolerance for the cheese-factor in film scripts. Yep, I still pride myself on being a realist. But this movie, like the narrator begins and reiterates throughout, is not a love story but rather yet a story about love.

It stars Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, both who I’d never previously thought twice about. But I have to give much due credit for this gem of a movie. They played their parts perfectly (and kudos to the casting director(s) for his/her part).

In short, the movie takes you through a non-linear 500 day relationship perspective from Gordon-Levitt’s character, Mark. He is somewhat of a hopeless romantic that believes in ...

• true love, soulmates, and falls in love with Summer (Deschanel) who, on the contrary, doesn’t share those ideal beliefs.

(500) Days of Summer is PG-13 but appeals to all ages from teenagers to seniors. In fact, I assumed it might be more geared for college-aged kids, but the day I went it seemed like the much older movie-goers laughed the most.

It also has a great soundtrack featuring Deschanel’s cover of the Smith’s

‘Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want.’ She is actually in a great sounding band called She & Him with fellow member, M. Ward (who I recently saw a free iTunes “Pick of the Week” song card for at Starbucks). And according to “wikipedia” she’s enagaged to Ben Gibbard of Death Cab for Cutie, so perhaps he offers some good constructive criticism.

Anyway, go see the movie…you won’t be disappointed.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 113007782821031/k2311a0730/7.30.09