The Beatles - The White Album (Side II)
  • Musically this song is extremely simple and basic compared to Martha My Dear, but I prefer this track much more
  • Blackbird - Brilliant song, probably the best on this side of the record
  • McCartney really impressed me with his songwriting on this track and how deep this song is, it just seems more like a song Lennon would write
  • This song is also very basic in instrumentation, even more so than the past track, but is definitely my favorite so far, and even one of my favorites of the entire album
  • Overall, this track isn’t truly amazing either, but it’s still a very good song and Lennon just sounds great on here

• by Grimmy101

Overview - Side II of The White Album continues with the mix of Lennon and McCartney compositions, but also includes one by Harrison as well and even one by Starr. Similar to side I, this side of the album has a lot of melodic songs to it but also it has a few more electrically driven songs as well. Aside from the opening track which I’m personally not very fond of, the rest of this side is very solid and doesn’t really have any major flaws. Most of the tracks on this side aren’t anything too special aside from a few, most notably Blackbird, but they’re still good songs. As far as being compared to the first side, I’d have to say that the first side of the album is better than this side, but this still has a lot of good tracks to listen to as well.

The Tracks -

1. Martha My Dear - Unlike the other songs on this album, Martha My Dear features a bit different instrumentation. This track features both a string section, mostly violins, and a brass section, mostly trumpets. McCartney sings lead on this track and his voice sounds quite nice actually, but I’m just not really a fan of the song. McCartney’s vocal melody doesn’t really do very much to me and his lyrics aren’t enough to save the track. I give credit for the instrumentation but basically I’d say this is just one of McCartney’s love songs but it honestly doesn’t have anything that great in it, not a great way to start off side II of the record.

2. I’m So Tired - I’m So Tired is a nice change after Martha

My Dear. Lennon sounds extremely mellow during the verse, which matches up perfectly with the lyrical theme of insomnia, and then progressively starts to sound more and more powerful, particularly in the chorus. Musically this song is extremely simple and basic compared to Martha My Dear, but I prefer this track much more. The main reasons are that I prefer Lennon’s voice on the track and that his vocal melody actually fits with the song, whereas McCartney’s track had a good vocal performance but the actual melody wasn’t very good.

3. Blackbird - Brilliant song, probably the best on this side of the record. McCartney really impressed me with his songwriting on this track and how deep this song is, it just seems more like a song Lennon would write. Excellent lyrics which have a very dark tone to them which McCartney matches up perfectly with. This song is also very basic in instrumentation, even more so than the past track, but is definitely my favorite so far, and even one of my favorites of the entire album. I know that I generally associate Lennon with the more well developed compositions and McCartney with the more catchy and pop-orientated songs, but this is truly brilliant work by McCartney here, excellent songwriting.

4. Piggies - Piggies is Harrison’s second composition so far on this album, and although not as good as While My Guitar Gently Weeps, this is still a very strong track. The instrumentation on here fits with the song perfectly and includes instruments ranging from a harpsichord to a string section. Harrison’s vocals are also quite fitting but his lyrics are really another great part of this song, a very clever ...

• social commentary on classes in society. Harrison’s songwriting style really seems to remind me John Lennon’s for some reason which is a very good thing in my opinion.

5. Rocky Raccoon - I’ll say right now that McCartney sounds quite a bit different on this song than any of the previous tracks to come on the first two sides of the record. At first I really wasn’t a fan of this song at all, but I have to say that McCartney’s vocal melody is extremely catchy and this song has really started to grow on me. Although I don’t think that this song is all that great, and doesn’t really compare with some of the other previous tracks of this side, it’s quite a catchy song to be honest. McCartney’s vocal melody and vocal performance on this track is actually very good and his lyrics showcase some storytelling talents. This track may take a while to get into, like in my case, but personally I think it’s really a good song.

6. Don’t Pass Me By - So far each Beatle has had a writing credit and sang lead vocals on at least one track except Ringo Starr, this track is his first. Starr’s voice is honestly quite different from the other three Beatles because he sounds as if he’s extremely limited in his vocal range, but he really does make good use of what he has, his tone isn’t bad at all. The song really doesn’t actually have very many instruments, but the sound of the song is extremely full and the feel of it is just great. Despite Starr’s lack of range, his vocal tone isn’t bad at all and his

melody on this track is quite catchy. For his first composition, this is quite a good song.

7. Why Don’t We Do It In The Road? - This track is extremely simple, probably the most basic and simple song on this whole side of the record and even of the entire record. The song is really only made up of one line which McCartney sings over and over. The vocal delivery is meant to be pretty aggressive, and although McCartney does a pretty good job at it, Lennon may have been better suited for it vocally. But on the other hand, I really have a hard time imaging Lennon singing on this track just because it’s extremely straightforward and basic, really not that great a track.

8. I Will - I Will is another one of McCartney’s love songs which isn’t really one of his great compositions like Blackbird but it isn’t really bad like the previous track. To be honest, I Will and the next track, Julia, are pretty similar in both feel and how they’re made up. Both tracks have extremely basic instrumentation, especially Julia, and both are basically love songs. The difference is that I Will is a McCartney composition while Julia is Lennon’s. Personally I Will isn’t terrible, but I don’t think it’s anything that special.

9. Julia - Julia carries a similar feel as I Will, but it’s even more melodic and calmer due to Lennon’s voice, especially when it’s double tracked. Lennon’s lyrics are also much less straightforward than McCartney’s on I Will and they’re also more poetic. Overall, this track isn’t truly amazing either, but it’s still a very good song and Lennon just sounds great on here.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 143007781970831/k2311a0730/7.30.09