Calgary Kentucky Fried Chicken  » Restaurants  »
1320 Edmonton Trail NE, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • I admit that although I am a health-food nut, I love KFC, even though deep-fried chicken is not exactly nutritious
  • KFC chicken is just so delicious that every once in awhile, I throw caution to the wind and go to the nearest location
  • My husband and I decided to go get some take-out chicken to bring with us fishing, so we stopped by a KFC in north east Calgary
  • I wanted to try the new grilled chicken, but I thought that I might get some original recipe style as well

• by Jessie Bahrey

I admit that although I am a health-food nut, I love KFC, even though deep-fried chicken is not exactly nutritious; KFC chicken is just so delicious that every once in awhile, I throw caution to the wind and go to the nearest location. I especially love white meat and I even eat the skin. I don’t order the gravy to go with the fries anymore, but I refuse to give up the chicken. I had seen some advertising lately for a new product, gilled chicken, which sounded like a healthy alternative. My husband and I decided to go get some take-out chicken to bring with us fishing,

so we stopped by a KFC in north east Calgary. I wanted to try the new grilled chicken, but I thought that I might get some original recipe style as well.

As soon as we walked in to the restaurant and looked at the menu, we saw that there have been some changes since the last time we were here. First of all, back in the day, there were two styles of chicken, extra-crispy and original, along with chicken strips, chicken sandwiches and the side dishes. The options were various combinations or ‘meal deals’ in several price ranges. Now, there is no extra crispy available, but also no ...

• grilled chicken-the employee behind the counter told us that it was only available in certain Canadian cities but it would be coming soon everywhere. In addition to the options I was familiar with, there are now things like chicken pot pies, wings and something called ‘bowls’ which is a real heart attack waiting to happen-a bowl of noodles or mashed potatoes, gravy, chicken and vegetables. Another new feature is that everything is trans-fat free, so as I said to my husband, it is really a somewhat healthy choice.

We finally ordered a variety pack of original recipe chicken, wings and popcorn chicken, with a side of coleslaw and

fries for $19.99. (There are three sizes of this combination and this was the medium). This was the store’s special promotion. Despite it being very busy, as it was a Saturday, the employees here were very fast and efficient, and we got our food quickly. The store, by the way, was very clean. We took our food fishing, although some fries didn’t make it all the way. It was excellent, and the chicken was perfect-not greasy, but perfectly cooked with the meat inside moist and tender. The fries were wilted, but the coleslaw was good. Kentucky Fried Chicken is still a tasty and inexpensive restaurant, and will soon be healthier!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 72907781030731/k2311a0729/7.29.09