Diamond Home Improvement Center  » Business  »
1.0
1881 NE 7th St. Grants Pass OR 97526
  • It should therefore be geared towards helping regular people who don't know a lot about building and remolding and don't really have a lot of experience with the equipment necessary for that but aren't stupid and are capable of knowing what they want when they walk in the door
  • Perhaps it's a small town problem, or perhaps not, but our Diamond acts like they think that women are incapable of doing home improvements
  • I almost couldn't look him in the face because I thought I might come off with a few smart aleck remarks

• by KJ hamnik

Diamond Home Improvement Center is really the only big home improvement center in Grants Pass Oregon. We have plenty of building suppy companies but for do-it-yourself types, Diamond is the only one. It should therefore be geared towards helping regular people who don’t know a lot about building and remolding and don’t really have a lot of experience with the equipment necessary for that but aren’t stupid and are capable of knowing what they want when they walk in the door. It should also not distinguish between men and women who are doing these home improvements.

Perhaps it’s a small town problem, or perhaps not, but our Diamond acts like they think that women are incapable of doing home improvements. As a woman who does know what I’m talking about I can see the difference between the way they treat men and women. I was in there one day for a faucet and I knew exactly what kind of faucet I wanted. I told the guy in the plumbing section that I wanted a single lever faucet for my bathroom.

He started to ask questions like, “Are

you sure it’s a single lever?” “Have you measured the sink holes?” “How deep is the basin?” Several more of these questions. I was astonished and a little put off that he thought I needed to be grilled on the subject since I had come in there looking for a specific product and to compare the prices of different brands for that specific product. I almost couldn’t look him in the face because I thought I might come off with a few smart aleck remarks.

I told him that the holes the bathroom sink are standard for a single lever faucet, that I was replacing one that was already in place and that the depth of the basin would be inmaterial to the project. Still unable to look him in the face, I asked him if he had some notion that I hadn’t done plumbing before and what if anything gave him that idea. He was incensed. He was! It’s a wonder that I didn’t tell him how incensed I was.

In the end I told him that I was going to go to a different store because I wanted to be treated like an intelligent human being and they would have a better price anyway. I also told him that I didn’t drive five miles to the opposite end of town to be treated like a “little woman” who knew nothing about the world. I also said that he should check his attitude at the door and be sure that he didn’t treat women this way anymore because he works there with women and they’d not look lightly on his behavior and attitude.

So he said that he was “just trying to help — no need to get all upity about it”. I nearly yelled at him. I asked him if he thought in his mind that I wouldn’t know what I wanted even though I had asked him for the location of a specific product and he said again that he was trying to help and didn’t want me to get the wrong thing. So I told him that I was there for a specific item and if I had been floundering around the section not knowing what item I wanted ...

• Diamond Home Improvement Center
      that would have been one thing but that I’m a woman doesn’t mean that I should be treated differently by him on this subject — or any other. I told him that I wasn’t being a feminist as much as he was being a sexist and that there are many, many women in the field of construction who wouldn’t be as nice to him about this.

I left feeling like I hadn’t made any difference at all. I probably didn’t. I can imagine him in the breakroom with the other “men” talking about the sassy woman who thinks she knows it all and how women should just stay at home etc… He just seemed like that kind of a guy. I did call the manager, who was also a man, and explained to him the situation and that I thought it was poor judgement on the part of a company to allow their employees to treat male and female customers differently and that none of them know what experience a person walking through the door has or doesn’t have and they should be more careful. With

there prices as high as they are they may end up out of business if they alienate half of their customer base.

In all I am surprised in this day and age when I come across this archaic attitude and it makes me personally angry when I have to deal with it. Companies should really watch out for this kind of behavior because more and more women everyday are realizing really how capable they are and the more we women realize it the less we’ll be shopping at these places where women are still considered to be second class and not as smart as men.

I won’t be going back to Diamond to see if I made any difference but they are still open for business so we shall see. Go and test the water yourself and I hope they have changed. They have a wide variety of useful products and services, plus a huge garden center and it would be nice for this community if we didn’t lose anymore businesses. But I’m sure if we do lose this business it won’t be because of the recession!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 412707778351231/k2311a0727/7.27.09