Great Value White Sandwich Bread (24 ounces)  » Food  »
0.5
  • It makes horrible sandwiches when the bread isn't toasted because you get a left over stale taste from the bread itself

• by green eyed angel

Great Value White Sandwich Bread is the Wal-Mart brand. It’s from 99 cents to $1.10 per loaf for a twenty-four ounce loaf. Being on a budget I always attempt to buy generics and the brands that are on sale. Well, sometimes I have to spend a little bit more to get quality and this is one of those cases.

While it is said that

all bread is the same the great value white sandwich bread proves that this isn’t true at all. I always choose the loaf with the sell by date furthest away from the actual date that I am making the purchase. This is to attempt to ensure that my bread doesn’t get stale before I use it even though we typically go through at ...

• least two loaves of bread a week.

Well, even though I carefully check the loaves for freshness, and make sure the sell by date for the great value white sandwich bread is always at least a week away it ends up stale about a day after opening it. That is if it’s not stale by the time I get it home and use it.

The

only thing the bread is good for is making grill cheese sandwiches and toast. It makes horrible sandwiches when the bread isn’t toasted because you get a left over stale taste from the bread itself.

I’d give it a zero if it were allowed but it’s not, so I give it a one. Next time I’ll try and remember that there is a reason it’s so cheap.

Maglore says :

Who or where is the Great Value Bread made. Reading the package it only says Distributed by Wal-Mart, but who makes it? Is it even made in the US?

green eyed angel says :

I’m not actually sure. I think it is but I can’t be certain. I believe Wal-Mart produces it though.

Becky says :

I quit buying it for that very reason. Feel somewhat taken advantage of since it was so yummy when they first started manufacturing it. I kept buying it for some time thinking it was just a bad batch…I`ve learned my lesson now Will never buy it again…although I said that about Safeway`s Ovenjoy, that`s actually improved quite a bit…hmm, wish they`d quit monkeying around with formulas, find a way to consistently provide as quality a product as possible for the money. At least that way I could say I got what I paid for, be satisfied that I hadn`t wasted even a little money.

blondefreelancer replies :

I’ve quit buying it in favor of specialty bread that another local store sells for $ 1 a loaf I’m considering making my own bread from scratch instead, or sticking to the BOGO free at our local Winn-Dixie.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 272407773761231/k2311a0724/7.24.09