Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince  » Movies  »
4.3
  • The previews, especially the first commercial seemed, to me, to be a bit inappropriate for what I thought would be a much younger audience
  • I can't wait to see it on tv because I know that won't happen on the tv screen
  • I have to say I personally really enjoyed the movie even though not a lot really happened at all
  • I was particularly impressed with the young actor who plays Malfoy (sp
  • I think most people will think it doesn't do enough but I like this particular type of film and had a great time

• by KJ hamnik

I had been waiting on the edge of my seat for Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince to come out. I watched all of the movies prior to this one on DVD three or four times in the last month, getting reaquainted with the story and the characters. When the movie finally came out a week and half ago I was broke. I just hoped that I would have the money in the next week to go and that it would still be playing. Well I kind of had a feeling that it would still be playing but sometimes movies can flop unexpectedly and be yanked out of theaters prematurely.

I went to see Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince with my sister and her son last Sunday. We

got to the theater a half hour early and sat in the front row all excited and full of anticipation. The previews, especially the first commercial seemed, to me, to be a bit inappropriate for what I thought would be a much younger audience. It was some kind of perfume commercial where rolling leather took the shape of a naked woman. Then at least half of the movie previews were for pg-13 movies. I thought that was odd but put it out of my mind because I was there to see Harry Potter. It’s only the second Harry Potter movie that I’ve seen in the theater.

The movie started in the familiar way and then the next few scenes had me holding my hands over my eyes and trying not to throw up. This happened to me at the first Lord of the Rings movie too. I got vertigo from the opening scenes. I can’t wait to see it on tv because I know that won’t happen on the tv screen. As soon as that part of it was over I was able to sit back and enjoy the movie.

Almost 80% of the movie had this ‘hanging out with your friends’ feel. In fact, I was beginning to wonder if anything was going to happen in this movie at all. Long comfortable, humorous scenes are punctuated by momentary threats of excitement. I have to say I personally really enjoyed the movie even though not a lot really happened at all. I was particularly impressed with the young actor ...

• Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
      who plays Malfoy (sp?), his performance was really a step up from what he’s done in the past. I could really feel his conflict and tension.

I haven’t read the books so I am unaware of how these things turn out. Sometimes I’m a scholar on a particular book to screen effort as in the case of Lord of the Rings which I studied in college and have read front to back at least eight times. With Harry Potter I just wanted to enjoy the cinematic experience. When the movies are all done I’ll read the books to get more from the experience. But from what I’ve heard, reading the books would set me up for disappointment in some cases.

I really enjoyed the Harry Potter experience despite my early

nausea at the flying scenes in the beginning. The family type of atmosphere with the kids, Harry, Rob and Hermione, is especially accentuated in this film and it was a warm comfortable feeling. There is some tragedy; I dare say it wouldn’t be Harry Potter without that, and the end of the movie is quite anticlimatic. I think most people will think it doesn’t do enough but I like this particular type of film and had a great time. The theater was fairly full but people were for the most part polite and enjoyed the film as well.

Go see Harry Potter in the theater but if you get vertigo then sit well back for the opening scenes — move up for the rest so you can enjoy the fireside feeling of the film.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Sarah Fox says :

re : I think most people will think it doesn’t do enough but I like this particular type of film and had a great time
Compared to the other films, it’s true that not a lot of the overall plot developed and there was not as much action. However, I personally found this film really enjoyable because of the focus and plot twists revolving around the character, Snape. Also, Dumbledore died right at the end making the slow pace of the rest of the film worth it. Also, I felt that there was a lot of character development in this film compared to the previous ones. As someone who is very invested in the characters, this make the film very appealing to me. There was a lot of character development with Ron for instance.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112307772290631/k2311a0723/7.23.09