It Had To Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips book  » Books  »
  • Phillips' work I must say, if I were picking favorites, It Had To Be You is better than the sequel in my opinion
  • Phoebe is a character that I much admire, a woman who overcomes a traumatic experience from her childhood, who is brave and doesn't hesitate to use her physical attributes to her advantage, and is intelligent and crafty but kind and caring in a way that is not nauseatingly cloying
  • It was interesting to re-meet him in this book as a young, brash, up and coming football star, before he goes and falls in love
  • What I didn't enjoy reading about was his being described as looking like Christian Slater - I had another actor in mind and I don't think that Christian Slater is especially good looking but, well, that's just my opinion

• by abigosi

“It Had To Be You” by Susan Elizabeth Phillips is the “prequel” to this “Heart Of Mine.” I actually read this book before I read “This Heart of Mine,” and while I do enjoy all of S.E. Phillips’ work I must say, if I were picking favorites, “It Had To Be You” is better than the sequel in my opinion.

The book takes you on a tour inside the world of American football, a world that I had never before been interested in or even cared about. Amazingly, though this is a love story, what interested me as much as the developments between the two main

characters - Phoebe Somerville (New York socialite and new owner of the Chicago Stars) and Dan Calebow (head coach of the Chicago Stars) - was the story of the Chicago Stars and how, supposedly, the inside world of football is run.

Phoebe is a character that I much admire, a woman who overcomes a traumatic experience from her childhood, who is brave and doesn’t hesitate to use her physical attributes to her advantage, and is intelligent and crafty but kind and caring in a way that is not nauseatingly cloying. Dan Calebow, on the other hand, is every woman’s dream, but has demons of his own.

• He’s buff and gorgeous, gets angry at the drop of a hat, but has a soft, not to be confused with weak, side which he tries to hide.

The tension and heat between the two protagonists is palpable and believable, the dialogue witty, and as usual S.E. Phillips manages to make the background characters people who are not to be dismissed.

What I noticed about S.E. Phillips writing is that she strives to make sure that the whole story is complete, meaning that all the characters in the book are well-rounded and have stories of their own.

What I especially loved about the book was the appearance of

Bobby Tom, from her novel “Heaven, Texas.” This is because, although “It Had to be You” was published first, I had read “Heaven, Texas” first and I absolutely adored the character of Bobby Tom. It was interesting to “re-meet” him in this book as a young, brash, up and coming football star, before he goes and falls in love. What I didn’t enjoy reading about was his being described as looking like Christian Slater - I had another actor in mind and I don’t think that Christian Slater is especially good looking but, well, that’s just my opinion.

Again, a highly recommended novel by S.E. Phillips.

Andrew Leither says :

This sounds like a great story. “It Had To Be You.” I am intrigued with the story, plot and lay out and diverse, interesting characters. I have not read the story, but on reading your review I know I will like it

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 172007768961031/k2311a0720/7.20.09