Beads on an Anthill book  » Books  »
2.5
  • I had to read this book for my American Indian Literature class in college, and found it to be an interesting read
  • I think Delphine Redshirt did a fine job in representing her unique cultural traditions and aspects of life, but I did feel that some of the stories were a little dry
  • I recommend this book to anyone interested in the Lakota culture or in memoirs

• by jollsjlupin

I am reviewing the book, Beads on an Anthill, written by Delphine Red Shirt in 1998. Delphine Red Shirt is a Lakota woman who grew up in Nebraska and on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota in the 1960s and 1970s.

In this book, she talks about many different parts of

her life, including several different ceremonies she participated in.

She presents this book as being both a book for a non-Native audience and a Native audience.

During several times, she presents the reader with many different words in Lakota, which she then translates for the reader within the paragraph.

She talks about growing up after the death of her beloved sister, and presents several different cultural traditions throughout the book.

She really gives her non-Native audience a look into Lakota life through her pages.

I had to read this book for my American Indian Literature class in college, and found it to be an interesting ...

• Beads on an Anthill book
      read.

I appreciated how Delphine Red Shirt translated her language within the text, so the reader would not have to pause and flip back to the index to see what the words meant.

That just gets frustrating.

aspects of life, but I did feel that some of the stories were a little dry.

I do like reading biographies once in a great while, but not too often.

I’m not a big memoir fan.

But that is my preference.

I recommend this book to anyone interested in the Lakota culture or in memoirs.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 172007768941031/k2311a0720/7.20.09