Trail Bottle Exchange
8499 Horton Road SW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • Recycling is not my favourite pastime, especially when there is no roadside pick up
  • I tried two or three before I tried Trail Bottle Exchange, and I am happy I found it
  • The other feature that I like is that this place is far enough away from downtown, so that I have never seen the homeless hanging around trying to ask customers for their bottles and cans
  • It is unfortunately a part of life in many cities, but the absence of this makes Trail Bottle Exchange a cleaner, safer place

• by Jessie Bahrey

Recycling is not my favourite pastime, especially when there is no roadside pick up. It is time consuming, annoying, smelly, and just a hassle. I recently moved temporarily to a city that doesn’t have a roadside recycling program, at least not in my part of the city, so I had to look for a bottle depot that was close by.

I tried two or three before I tried Trail Bottle Exchange, and I am happy I found it. It makes a distasteful task less awful.

The Trail Bottle Exchange is a huge warehouse-type building with a large parking lot. Just outside the entrance are many carts,

and every time I go, there are always enough for all the customers.

The carts make it so much easier to bring in the bottle and cans from your vehicle, and you don’t have to wait for one to become available, like so many other facilities. Once inside, there are many employees.

In fact, the staff really makes things move quickly, and I have never had to wait in a lineup that was over two people long. The staff hand out cardboard boxes and trays to place your bottles and cans in, and I have seen them help customers do this, if they have time ...

• and if the customers are slow or elderly.

This saves so much time and makes this a pleasant, helpful environment. The building is also big enough so that there is no clutter, and even though all bottle depots are smelly, this place smells less terrible than any other I have been to.

Perhaps because of the helpful staff, most of the customers also seem pleasant, and everything is efficient, organized and moves very quickly. The entire process takes considerably less time at Trail than I have ever experienced before.

The prices are, of course, set by the government, so there is no deal to be

had in any depot or recycling facility, but what sets Trail apart is the courteous and helpful staff and the well-organized process of bringing back bottles and cans to be recycled. The other feature that I like is that this place is far enough away from downtown, so that I have never seen the homeless hanging around trying to ask customers for their bottles and cans.

It is unfortunately a part of life in many cities, but the absence of this makes Trail Bottle Exchange a cleaner, safer place. I will always recycle at this depot, and they deserve a real pat on the back for their successful business.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 251907768020931/k2311a0719/7.19.09