Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Vol 6
  • But it was a different time and I don't think that should interfere with what is supposed to be entertaining

• by Goombasa

I have no trouble admitting this: I am a huge fan of the Looney Tunes, and I have been ever since I was a kid, watching them on Saturday mornings. But then, as I got older, I discovered that there were certain cartoons in the Warner Bros. library that I never saw. These were the wartime cartoon, propaganda cartoons that were made to help stir the country during the troubled years of World War II, when stereotypes ran rampant and classic characters were used more for selling war bonds than entertaining us through witty humor and slapstic comedy.

These cartoons were a valuable part of that point in history. However, they were never broadcast on television for obvious reasons. Of course, there was a way around this: DVD releases. I am proud to be the owner of volume six of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection, a huge compilement of cartoons that were aired during the WWII years. I have

to say, as horrible as some of these cartoons can make you feel in the politically correct world of today, they are just as funny as any other cartoon made with the Warner Bros. label.

I have to admit, I was wary at first, considering that the cover of the collection shows several of the Looney Tunes dressed in army garb and saluting. Of course, I am not one to judge a book by its cover, so I popped in the first disk and within the first five minutes, I was already laughing hysterically as Bugs Bunny impersonated not only Hitler, but also Stalin within the same cartoon.

Yes, you heard right, Bugs Bunny impersonating Hitler and Stalin, the two dictators of the era. That is the type of situation where you laugh hysterically and then it turns to a nervous chuckle as you realize just what kind of connotations such an action held at the time.

The entire collection is ...

• pretty much like that. Almost every cartoon contains extreme German, Italian, and Japanese stereotypes and generally pokes fun at every aspect of their lives, culture, and even their accents. Once again, this is both funny and disturbing. We know that this is not the type of thing that is okay to put on TV nowadays, but we still find it completely hilarious.

Every single one of the cartoons gives you a reason to smile, and it gives you a great idea of what life was like during that tense time. Like I said, there is a lot of missing history contained in all these cartoons. Of course, the exaggerated stereotypes don’t have much when compared to some of the real life interpretations shown in theaters today, and the cartoons actually seem pretty innocent when set side by side with something like Harold and Kumar, who make fun of Indians, Asians, Caucasians, and African Americans.

All in all, these are still

the same kinds of cartoons that you would expect to see during the Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show, but it’s important to remember that, as the warning states at the beginning of every disk, they are all products of their time and the stereotypes merely reflect that time period. They should be taken as what they are: cartoons that were meant to make America seem victorious during WWII,and are now nothing but outlets for entertainment.

It’s worth the dollar, so long as you can take a joke and don’t suffer from racial sensitivity. Remember, they aren’t attacking you personally. The disks themselves state that the stereotypes were wrong then and they are wrong today. But it was a different time and I don’t think that should interfere with what is supposed to be entertaining. The cartoons themselves are funny, and that’s what I want.

Buy it and enjoy it. It’s an essential collection for any true lover of Looney Tunes.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111907767720931/k2311a0719/7.19.09