Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince  » Movies  »
  • Now in my opinion, the flaw with the story is that the first two hours or so seemed to go extremely slow, and although there were some good parts and scenes, the majority of it wasn't all that special
  • Conclusion - Overall the film isn't exactly terrible, and although I do feel it dragged on for a bit - it wasn't exactly boring and the script was still creative, although better acting would've come in use

• by Grimmy101

Just as a bit of a foreword, I have read the novel which accompanies this film, but I read it around the time when it first came out and haven’t gone back to it, or any of the previous books, since.

Overview - Today I went to the theater and saw Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince, and overall I’ll say it wasn’t great but it wasn’t that bad either. To be completely honest I don’t really remember many of the smaller details or plots of the previous novels or films, however I do know the larger details and the general story of each, and I went into this film with a brief and vague understanding of the plot. This being said, I really can’t judge how much of the book was left out, although I do know some pretty big parts of the big were excluded, or how accurate this film is to Rowling’s vision, but it portrayed the story well, and hopefully serves as a good set-up for the final film, which is split into two parts. I don’t want to give away very many spoilers for the actual film in this review but I’ll give you some basic thoughts about the film in general, primarily focusing on the

story and the acting.

The Story - As I said in my overview, I’m not completely sure how accurate this film is to Rowling’s novel simply because I don’t really remember the novel all that well. I do know that Dumbledore’s funeral scene, which is one of the most powerful scenes in the book, is left out of this film for whatever reason and also that a battle scene between Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter is also left out, which to me isn’t as big a deal, but I do think leaving the funeral scene out was a strange choice. This aside, the story is pretty simple to follow, even if you haven’t read the novel at all or don’t really remember it. Now in my opinion, the flaw with the story is that the first two hours or so seemed to go extremely slow, and although there were some good parts and scenes, the majority of it wasn’t all that special. Now the last half hour or so on the other hand was much better, although still not without flaws, and had a lot more going on with it. With this mix it seemed as if too much time was spent on more of the unimportant parts of the ...

• story which made them feel as if they were dragging on, causing the more important and better scenes to feel rushed. Unlike the other films, this film also relies on humor quite a bit and even some sexually awkward moments, it’s done alright but the cast didn’t really compliment the already mediocre humor of the script. Overall the story isn’t bad, but the way that it spends too much time on unimportant details and not enough time on the more important details is extremely annoying.

The Acting - To me, the main cast didn’t really do a great job. The actors who play Harry, Ron, and Hermione really don’t do a great job for the most part. Daniel Radcliffe, the actor who portrays Potter, seems pretty emotionless for the majority of the film and when he does include some emotion towards the middle of the film he seems extremely awkward to me. However, I will say that the performance of Alan Rickman, the actor who portrays Severus Snape, is brilliant on this film, just as he’s been on every film prior as well. Although not as good as Rickman’s performance, the actors who portray Dumbledore and Horrace Slughorn also do a pretty good job. I will say that yes, this

movie includes one extremely powerful scene in it but it’s more because of the overall mood, setting, and actual story of it rather than the job done by the main cast. The acting was actually a pretty big flaw of this movie, although not as big as how the story was balanced.

Conclusion - Overall the film isn’t exactly terrible, and although I do feel it dragged on for a bit - it wasn’t exactly boring and the script was still creative, although better acting would’ve come in use. To me, just the way the film played out makes me extremely hopeful that it serves as a good set-up to the next film, which I hope is done a lot better. I understand that it’s difficult to turn a 600 or 700 page book into a movie script without leaving some details out, but since the next movie - The Deathly Hallows, is being split up into two parts, I hope it’s a lot more developed than this movie. Not exactly a must see by any means if you’re not really a fan of this story, but if you’ve seen the other films and are a fan of the franchise than there’s really no good and solid convincing reason not to see this film.

Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111907767120831/k2311a0719/7.19.09