Samsung Epix Windows Mobile Phone
  • I bought the Samsung Epix (SGH-i907) to replace an aging Nokia phone
  • This was actually my first smart phone and all-in-all I am impressed
  • I found that Windows Mobile was easy to learn and had much of the feel of the normal Windows Environment

• by doubleT

I bought the Samsung Epix (SGH-i907) to replace an aging Nokia phone. In fact, I ordered the Epix through AT&T’s website long before it was ever available in the retail stores. This was actually my first “smart phone” and all-in-all I am impressed.

The Epix comes equipped Windows Mobile Professional and is the successor to the BlackJack.

Samsung both hurt and helped the Epix in it’s overall design.

The industry-first optical mouse is a strong plus, while the ill-placed stylus is small and hard to access. The Epix excels with its bright touch screen (square) which is an upgrade over the BlackJack’s screen.

I found that Windows Mobile was easy to learn and had much of the feel of the normal Windows Environment. Most of the problems I have had with the Epix are ...

• actually not hardware related, but rather software. For a $300 phone, it sure contained a lot of trial software. I found that most of the included software was actually very useful but very frustrating that it was all trial ware. Both Verizon phones and the iPhone sport either pay-as-you-use or one time fees for their music id programs. The Epix does not. Rather, it is
        a monthly ($9.99) paid subscription.

Overall, the Epix is a strong competitor in the Smart Phone market but it does have some major down-falls.

Pros: -Optical Mouse -Bright Screen -Strong Speaker -Bluetooth -WiFi (useful for areas with no 3G coverage) -Micro SD Slot (up to 16GB)

Cons: -Too Much Trial Software -Propitiatory Multi-function connector (no headphone jack) -No Internal Mic Support When Standard Headphones Are Plugged In -No iTunes Support Unlike BlackBerry -Camera is only 2MP (compared to 3+ in competitor phones) -Locks up frequently

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 371807766120931/k2311a0718/7.18.09