The Beatles - Let It Be
  • The Music - For most of the album the music on this record wasn't a huge thing that I paid attention to, at least guitar-wise
  • Some songs had some excellent riffs and creative parts to them, but the best music on this record didn't really come from the guitars in my opinion
  • The vocals primarily carry and take the spotlight on each of the songs on this record, and with a good performance by both Lennon and McCartney, in most cases, this isn't a problem at all
  • Besides the bassline, there isn't anything too notable in this song, and although it's solid, and Lennon and McCartney sound nice together, it's not extremely interesting
  • I think that musically and lyrically that the song is great, but I'm just not a huge fan of McCartney's vocals on it to be honest

• by Grimmy101

Overview - Let It Be, the final studio album of The Beatles, is made up more of melodic tracks rather than just traditional rock songs, although there are still some of those on here, mixed with some great songwriting and excellent vocal delivery. For me, there aren’t too many tracks that stand out on this record but I will say right now that it has one of my favorite Beatles’ songs of their entire career: Across The Universe. This album also features some of the more powerful Beatles’ songs that I’ve ever heard such as The Long And Winding Road and Let It Be. I wouldn’t say that this is one of my more favorite Beatles’ records, but I will say that it has strong songwriting throughout, and that none of the songs are just straight disasters. Although there might have been some things about certain songs that I didn’t like, they weren’t major flaws enough to ruin the record.

The Music - For most of the album the music on this record wasn’t a huge thing that I paid attention to, at least guitar-wise. Some songs had some excellent riffs and creative parts to them, but the best music on this record didn’t really come from the guitars in my opinion. Songs like The Long And Winding Road and Let It Be have some of the best music on this album and really showcase the Beatles’ ability to write great melodic songs. The vocals primarily carry and take the spotlight on each of the songs on this record, and with a good performance by both Lennon and McCartney, in most cases, this isn’t a problem at all.

The Lyrics And Vocals - Although most of the tracks don’t strike me as anything too special lyrically, this album does have some tracks where I absolutely love the lyrics. Across The Universe has some of my favorite Beatles’ lyrics in it and both Let It Be and The Long And Winding Road have extremely powerful and emotional lyrics. Overall, I didn’t have a huge problem with the vocals on this album aside from a few tracks where McCartney sang on that I felt could’ve been done a bit better. However, for the most part his performance is strong throughout the whole record and Lennon is great as always.

The Tracks -

1. Two Of Us - Two Of Us is a pretty

mellow and laid back way to start the record. The song is carried by an acoustic guitar mixed with a nice bassline and is sung over by John Lennon and Paul McCartney. This song is pretty straightforward and doesn’t really strike me as anything that great. Besides the bassline, there isn’t anything too notable in this song, and although it’s solid, and Lennon and McCartney sound nice together, it’s not extremely interesting.

2. Dig A Pony - I personally enjoy Dig A Pony slightly more than Two Of Us simply because I really prefer Lennon’s vocals on this song, especially during the chorus. This song is also a lot more upbeat compared to Two Of Us and also includes the better riffs as well as a guitar solo. Although better than the opening track of the record, this track also doesn’t have anything too great about it, and so far the record has been solid but not really anything past that, however - that’s about to change.

3. Across The Universe - Brilliant song, easy my favorite on the record. After two songs which I thought were just average, Across The Universe is a great and welcome change of pace - Lennon sounds amazing on this track and his voice fits the extremely melodic music behind him. The lyrics of this track are extremely psychedelic yet very poetic and the use of a Sanskrit phrase adds onto the creativity of this track and works surprisingly very well. Although very simple in structure and quite repetitive if you look at it, Across The Universe has a great overall feel to it and Lennon sounds absolutely brilliant on this track. One of my favorite Beatles songs of their entire career.

4. I Me Mine - Although less psychedelic than Across The Universe, I Me Mine is a great way to follow up with the song. The use of an organ really benefits this song and adds to the overall vibe and feel of it. While the first three tracks are all quite calm, this song picks up the energy during the chorus and has a nice feel to it. Along with all this, I personally enjoy the lyrics along with Harrison’s delivery and the song is able to create a nice sense of suspense and buildup as well. Although this track is also quite simple in arrangement and a bit repetitive, I don’t ...

• get bored listening to this track either.

5. Dig It - This track is just under a minute long and is basically just a vocal performance by Lennon accompanied by some instruments. Just because of how short it is, there isn’t too much substance to this song and it isn’t really developed, but for it’s short time it’s a good song.

6. Let It Be - Another excellent track on this album, probably my second favorite behind Across The Universe. The piano is able to carry this track wonderfully and McCartney sounds great singing over it. Great lyrics and just a very powerful mood is created by this song, in my opinion which is one of McCartney’s absolute best compositions. Although the song is very melodic during the first half, it does pick up in power with use of a guitar solo and just McCartney’s voice.

7. Maggie Mae - Similar to Dig It, this is only about a 40 second song and is a cover of a traditional song from Liverpool in England. Also like Dig It, there isn’t too much to judge from this track just because of how short it is, but from what I heard I did enjoy the song, it just doesn’t come close to the other, more developed songs.

8. I’ve Got A Feeling - Great opening riff by Lennon to start out the song and the vocals throughout the verse and chorus fit the song very well. Apparently this song is made up of McCartney’s “I’ve Got A Feeling”, the first half of the song and Lennon’s song “Everybody Had A Hard Year”, the second half of the song. Just as McCartney’s and Lennon’s writing styles differ, this song yet again shows the differences between them. While McCartney’s half of the song is a bit more positive and upbeat, Lennon’s is a bit darker and nowhere near as happy as McCartney’s half. The mix of the two songs does create for an overall good song though and a pretty creative idea to combine such different songs.

9. One After 909 - Compared to the rest of the album, this is the track that has the most energy to it. Up til now, I Me Mine probably had the most energy to it - but this song is a lot more like traditional rock and is pretty straightforward overall. I don’t have very much to say

about this song, it’s just a solid and catchy rock song but doesn’t really have any complex musical elements that some of the other songs on this album had.

10. The Long And Winding Road - Although an extremely sad and dark song, I’m not that big a fan of it. I think that musically and lyrically that the song is great, but I’m just not a huge fan of McCartney’s vocals on it to be honest. I really don’t like speculating too much, but I would be curious to hear how this song would sound with Lennon on vocals rather than McCartney. This is just my personal opinion and if you prefer McCartney over Lennon then you’re pretty much bound to enjoy this track - it’s actually quite a powerful and emotional song to be honest.

11. For You Blue - Compared to the rest of the album, this song sort of feels out of place just judging from the intro of it. Although Harrison doesn’t sound too bad on it, I just don’t really like his vocals on this song nor the lyrics. I will say that the use of Lennon on a lap steel guitar is pretty creative and different from the rest of the album, but overall I really just don’t like this song that much.

12. Get Back - Although musically and lyrically this track is actually alright, and with better vocals, could be a very good track - McCartney’s vocal delivery sort of disappoints me again on this track. I don’t really have a problem with his melody for this song but I don’t really like the tone that he’s singing from, especially on the chorus. Not really a bad song by any means and I can enjoy it if I don’t focus on the vocals too much, and overall it’s an okay way to end the record.

Conclusion - Although not their best record by any means, Let It Be still contains some of the groups more powerful and great songs and overall is a very solid record without any major flaws to it. The songs are extremely accessible to basically anyone, as nearly all Beatles’ records are, due to pretty straightforward arrangements and structure but along with good songwriting and catchy vocal hooks. This isn’t my favorite record by any means but I’ll still say it’s quite good overall and is worth listening to.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 141707765590931/k2311a0717/7.17.09