Guitar Pro 5 Tablature Editor  » Software  »
  • However, I also use this program to do a lot of writing - it's a lot more convenient for me than simply writing it on paper or manuscript because I can actually play it back and hear if the program has captured what I was going for, but I'll talk more about this later
  • With some bands, I always had problems listening past the vocals and focusing primarily on the guitar riff to try and learn it - but with this program I don't have that problem because I can single out any instrument I want in MIDI form
  • Conclusion - If you're willing to pay $60 for this program than I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed with it, I wasn't at least
  • However, if $60 is just out of your range than I'd still recommend a free tablature program called Power Tab, which isn't as versatile and effective as Guitar Pro but can still get the job done

• by Grimmy101

Overview - Guitar Pro 5 is primarily used as a guitar tablature editor, but it can help with a lot more than simply guitar. The main purpose I use this program for is to learn songs without having the vocals being any distraction, allowing me to focus more on how the riff is being played and getting the rhythm of it better. However, I also use this program to do a lot of writing - it’s a lot more convenient for me than simply writing it on paper or manuscript because I can actually play it back and hear if the program has captured what I was going for, but I’ll talk more about this later. Although the program is basically for guitarists I wouldn’t say that it’s limited to only them: I could see just about any musician benefiting from this program because of how you have the option to write music out for just about any instrument

and then being able to play it back in a MIDI version of that instrument’s tone. The program is not free to download, at least not legally, and I paid $60 for it, but despite the price, I have no regrets about purchasing it - you even have the option of trying a more limited demo version of this program for two weeks to see how you like it.

Misc. Positives - As I mentioned above, this program can basically benefit any musician, no matter what instrument you play. You have the option to write parts for your instrument through the use of an on screen keyboard that you click for whatever corresponding note you want. The site that I get my music from, ultimate-guitar.com, has a pretty wide range of tabs in Guitar Pro format which makes learning extremely useful for me. With some bands, I always had problems listening past the vocals and focusing primarily on the guitar riff to try and learn it - but with this program I don’t have that problem because I can single out any instrument I want in MIDI form: whether it be guitar, drums, vocals, bass, or whatever I want, I also have the option to mute any track I don’t want to hear. This really helps my actual playing, but another positive that I mentioned is how it helps with songwriting. If I don’t have the option to record something so I can remember the rhythm of it then this program really comes in handy because I can play it back to myself right away after tabbing it out and making sure I won’t forget the riff. This program is also extremely useful if you want to layer a lot of guitars that are playing different things simultaneously because you can hear how it will actually sound like without having to go to the inconvenience of recording all ...

• Guitar Pro 5 Tablature Editor
      of the guitars and then mixing them together.

Misc. Negatives - First off, the price of $60 may turn a lot of people away from this program and either result to downloading this program illegally or looking for free tablature software such as Power Tab. Although Power Tab isn’t really that bad, and it gets the job done, Guitar Pro 5 is a lot better software overall and you’re a lot less limited with this software - I would honestly only use Power Tab if I was trying to learn a song and couldn’t find a file in Guitar Pro format. Another thing that isn’t great about this program is that although it’s helpful with songwriting, it’s a bit of a pain to actually get your music up on the screen, especially if you aren’t great with rhythms - in that case it might just be better to simply record the music and then write it down somewhere else.

The sound of the instruments is also completely computer tone but this isn’t a huge deal, I don’t use this program for tone - more for rhythm and how I can focus on a riff.

Conclusion - If you’re willing to pay $60 for this program than I’m pretty sure you won’t be disappointed with it, I wasn’t at least. Whether you’re using this program primarily to just learn songs or you need a program to write then this program should be able to meet your needs. You’ll see that the wide range of instruments, although they do have horrible tones, can really come in handy, especially if you want to write for more complex music and want to include a lot more instruments than just a traditional song. However, if $60 is just out of your range than I’d still recommend a free tablature program called Power Tab, which isn’t as versatile and effective as Guitar Pro but can still get the job done.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 301607763940931/k2311a0716/7.16.09