The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World: A Journey Back in Time (DVD)  » Movies  »
  • Since I have always enjoyed ancient history, I thought I'd watch this DVD and learn more about them
  • I also found it interesting that people are uncertain if the Hanging Gardens even existed
  • The visuals and recreations of the Seven Wonders were OK, but I think they could have done better
  • I think that took some of the wonderment away from it and I was a little bit disappointed
  • They did a better job on the Hanging Gardens and that computer graphic was the best of the Seven Wonders

• by Bookwyrm

I’ve heard of the Seven Wonders of the World before, but was unsure exactly what they were. Since I have always enjoyed ancient history, I thought I’d watch this DVD and learn more about them. This program lists each one and tells a little bit about them. It also explained that there was no true list of the Seven Wonders as back in ancient days each person had their own idea of what man-made structures should be on the list. And out of the seven listed on this DVD, only one is still standing

today: the Great Pyramid of Cheops in Egypt. The rest have fallen because of earthquakes or were destroyed other ways. The Seven Wonders included on this DVD are: The Great Pyramid of Cheops, the Hanging Garden of Babylon, the Statue of Zeus at Olympia, the Temple of Artemis, the Mausoleum, the Colossus of Rhodes and the Pharus (lighthouse) at Alexandria. The narrator tells the history of each building and what is known about it. I also found it interesting that people are uncertain if the Hanging Gardens even existed.

While I found this DVD interesting, it was a little bit dry. But then, I guess that is to be expected. It’s kind of hard to make a statue exciting. The visuals and recreations of the Seven Wonders were OK, but I think they could have done better. For example, they could have used perspective with computer graphics to show us how huge and towering the Colossus was, but they didn’t. Instead they just showed an ordinary plain view of the statue. I think that took some of the wonderment away from it and I was a little ...

• The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World: A Journey Back in Time (DVD)
      bit disappointed. I guess I need to remember it’s a documentary and not a movie. Still, it would have been far more interesting if the graphics could zoom through the building or soar under the statue to peer upwards at it so we could get a better idea of what it might have looked like. That would be better than a still photograph-like image on the screen. They did a better job on the Hanging Gardens and that computer graphic was the best of the Seven Wonders. The drawing they made was pretty cool
      and the water on the waterfall seemed to actually flow. Still, it was more akin to a painting (or architectural type drawing) than a life-like image. For the Great Pyramid they used real photos, of course.

If you are interested in ancient history and are curious, you’d probably enjoy watching this DVD and it is educational. For example, it taught me where the word “mausoleum” came from. I admit I have never even heard of this famous structure before watching this program. I’m unsure the year this was filmed, but the DVD is 50 minutes long.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111607763890931/k2311a0716/7.16.09