Windows 7  » Software  »
  • I am not a great fan of Microsoft products, and had been disappointed previously with XP
  • After doing some research on user opinions regarding Windows 7 I decided to give it a try, and first installed it as a secondary operating system, (building a dual boot structure)
  • This has usually been a very frustrating experience in the past
  • It took a while to get used to the fact that programs needed to be Vista compatible, or sometimes installed in Vista compatibility mode, but this was a small learning curve, and 98% of my regular software worked easily, and without problem
  • I have now been using Windows 7 in Beta and Release Candidate versions as my primary operating system for around 3 months, and I am very surprisingly impressed

• by Just Me

I spend a large proportion of my time in front of my computer. I live in a remote region and use it for just about everything, from studying at university, through to shopping, website deign, and to process my photography. I have also been using computers since the mid 1980’s and am very demanding on the kind of software I use, especially when it comes to the most basic element of all, the operating system.

I am not a great fan of Microsoft products, and had been disappointed previously with XP. I helped a few friends troubleshoot Vista, and did not think very highly at all of that system, so when the Beta of Windows 7 came around I was not overly enthusiastic about trying it.

After doing some research on user opinions regarding Windows 7 I decided

to give it a try, and first installed it as a secondary operating system, (building a dual boot structure).

The installation process was easy, and quick. Already I was impressed. Usually my first nightmare in setting up an operating system is connecting all of the computers in my home via a network. This has usually been a very frustrating experience in the past. With Windows 7, the process was over in less than 30 seconds, and exceptionally easy. I simply had to ensure the computers were connected to the network, and switched on. After entering a password, (generated by the first computer to be set up) on each subsequent computer, they were fully connected.

Windows 7 boots quite fast, and is ready for use in less than a minute after switching the power on. Much faster ...

• than previous Microsoft operating systems. It has a clean and attractive user interface, and I really like the way the desktop and visual features can all be very easily customised. It only took a few minutes to get the desktop looking and acting the way I wanted it. No time wasted in setting up at all.

It took a while to get used to the fact that programs needed to be Vista compatible, or sometimes installed in Vista compatibility mode, but this was a small learning curve, and 98% of my regular software worked easily, and without problem. Where setting my system up, ready for use, with all my most used prgrams ready, generally took at least half a day using XP, this was ready for action in under a couple of hours. (I have a lot

of programs that MUST be installed to enable me to put my computer to work).

I have now been using Windows 7 in Beta and Release Candidate versions as my primary operating system for around 3 months, and I am very surprisingly impressed. For once, Microsoft may have got it right, and I have advised numerous friends and contacts to install this system on their computers.

An operating system needs to function efficien tly, quietly, and without crashing (a common problem in XP). Windows 7 achieves those things beautifully, and has never crashed, despite being put through a lot of difficult tasks that would normally crash other systems.

If you are worried about the reputation Vista had, and letting this turn you away from Windows 7, there is no need for fear. I would advise anyone to use this system.

Windows 7

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 301607763150831/k2311a0716/7.16.09