Valkyrie movie  » Movies  »
2.0
  • Before I rented “Valkyrie” last night, I decided that it might be good, despite my dislike of Tom Cruise, because it has two things going for it that I like
  • However, it moves so slowly that it just ends up being boring, and I almost dozed off
  • The characters did not get enough development to make any of them interesting at all, and I wanted to see what made these men risk execution to get rid of the tyranny of Hitler’s regime
  • The best part of the entire movie was at the end, when the men were arrested and executed-the movie shows each of the men involved in questioning, sentencing and ultimately executing the plotters, and shows what ends up happening to them-ironically, most of them were executed after the war themselves

• by Jessie Bahrey

Before I rented “Valkyrie” last night, I decided that it might be good, despite my dislike of Tom Cruise, because it has two things going for it that I like: it is based on a true story, and it is set during WW2, and I am a big fan of these types of movies. The plot was also simple, it seemed; Tom Cruise’s character is one of a group of German army men who try to assassinate Adolf Hitler.

At the beginning of the movie, the main characters are portrayed as men

who have various reasons for wishing to remove Hitler from power and from the world- some had a genuine fear of how he was going to destroy Germany and Europe in his quest for world domination, and others simply wanted to have more power within the SS.

Tom Cruise’s character is recruited to help execute the assassination, because he has access to Hitler, but the movie does not do a good job of exploring his reasons for this.

In fact, after the plot is conceived, the movie falls apart.

This movie had ...

• so much potential to be a fascinating look at the men who were not behind Hitler’s fanaticism and wanted to bring Germany back to some sort of order.

However, it moves so slowly that it just ends up being boring, and I almost dozed off.

The characters did not get enough development to make any of them interesting at all, and I wanted to see what made these men risk execution to get rid of the tyranny of Hitler’s regime.

There is so much arguing amongst the leaders of the attempted coup

that I forgot that they were all fighting for the same goal.

The best part of the entire movie was at the end, when the men were arrested and executed-the movie shows each of the men involved in questioning, sentencing and ultimately executing the plotters, and shows what ends up happening to them-ironically, most of them were executed after the war themselves.

This is the sort of ironic twists and intriguing facts that I wanted to see throughout the entire movie, but instead “Valkyrie” was uninteresting, too long and not at all informative.

Valkyrie movie

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111507761510831/k2311a0715/7.15.09