Associated Cabs Ltd.  » Business  »
1.5
Calgary, Alberta
  • Last week, I had an event I was attending, and I decided I would be smart and get my taxi ride home arranged early
  • I knew from past experience and other peoples’ experiences that booking ahead is not necessarily a guarantee, so I decided to cover all my bases

• by Jessie Bahrey

I have been warned on several occasions that there are very few taxi cabs in Alberta at all, so getting one can be very difficult, if not impossible, on weekends or during other busy times. Last week, I had an event I was attending, and I decided I would be smart and get my taxi ride home arranged early. I called Associated Cabs, which is a well-known and long-standing company in Calgary, and booked a cab to and from my event. I knew from past experience and other peoples’ experiences that booking ahead is not necessarily a guarantee, so I decided to cover all my bases. When my driver picked me up in the late afternoon, I gave him my

cell number, and asked him to call me if he couldn’t pick me up at 9pm. I also programmed 3 other cab company’s numbers into my cell phone just in case he cancelled. I figured that one way or the other, I would get a ride home.

My driver was prompt in picking me up at 4pm, and although he was on his cell phone for much of the 15 minute drive, I had no complaints, although the cab smelled like smoke, and it was supposedly a smoke-free car. I made sure he had my cell number, and just to be sure, I asked him for his number, and he gave me his card. I reiterated my schedule and asked him ...

• to pick me up at 9pm, reminding him that I had booked a cab for then with his dispatcher, and asked him to call me if he was going to be late.

I went to my event, and at a few minutes to 9, I went outside to wait. I waited 20 minutes before I called the driver’s cell phone, and it kept going to voice mail. In the meantime, I tried to get through to the dispatcher at Associated, but it rang busy each time. I then tried to call the 3 other cab companies that I had programmed into my phone, and all of them rang busy each time. The nightmare continued until 9:30, when someone who had been

at the event with me offered me a ride home. No one in the city was surprised by my experience, but I am a firm believer in customer service-if that driver could not come to pick me up, he should have called me; in fact, I would not have been angry if he had made the effort to call me, and had apologized and either tried to get another driver to come or tried to get through to his dispatcher for me-at least to make an effort of some kind. Even if the city has too few cabs for the population, Associated Cabs has no excuse for not at least contacting me. I will not use them again for any reason.

marie says :

not to mention that most of their call center agent are rude and not very helpful

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 411507761080831/k2311a0715/7.15.09