Symphonic DVD/CD Player with Video Cassette Recorder CSDV840E  » Electronics  »
  • I wanted a DVD/VCR combo, as I found I had too many wires going in to my television, through having a separate DVD and VCR
  • Purchasing the Symphonic DVD/VCR Video Cassette Recorder CSDV840E was one of the best buys I have ever made
  • This Symphonic 2-in-1 cost about $149.99CDN, and it is one of the most idiot proof devices I have ever seen
  • What impressed me the most, was the detailed owners kind that came with this Symphonic product

• by Melissa Glenn
      I wanted a DVD/VCR combo, as I found I had too many wires going in to my television, through having a separate DVD and VCR. Purchasing the Symphonic DVD/VCR Video Cassette Recorder CSDV840E was one of the best buys I have ever made. This Symphonic 2-in-1 cost about $149.

99CDN, and it is one of the most idiot proof devices I have ever seen. Great for the techie challenged like me.

It’s quite a heavy device, and weighs about 10 pounds. Other than being very stylish

in a slick silver design, this Symphonic DVD/CD and VCR machine runs very quietly.

Even when you are rewinding, fastforwarding a VCR tape the sound is absolutely minimal. What impressed me the most, was the detailed owners kind that came with this Symphonic product.

The guide is absolutely idiot-proof in that it showed me how to quickly connect this device to my television with the minimum ammount of fuss. Symphonic offers great diagrams, in detailed language, not techie-talk on all the features this machine has ...

• to offer.

A great feature this product has, is that it has four silver round cups attached underneath it. These cups hold the machine off my shelf a little, so my shelves never get scratched when I move this DVD/CD/VCR around.

Now, setting parental controls, recording from dvd to vcr, are no challenge to me at all. Symphonic offers OTR (one touch recording)and great playback for my MP3 files.

The on-screen display is easy to understand, and I caught on quickly how to use it.

Now I use this Symphonic product for watching and recording movies, playing CD’s and MP3’s everything.

It is all my family needs for entertainment purposes. Symphonic products are made by the Funai Corporation, and I certainly hope to buy more of their products.

I only wish this 2-in-1 device came with its own speakers, as I had to buy additional ones to get full use from this product. If you are in the market, like I was for a quality DVD/CD/VCR product buy the Symphonic CSDV840E device, you won’t be sorry.

I’m certainly not!

Chris says :

We have had this player for several years and recently a problem came up. The dvd player no longer produces any sound to the tv. But there is no problem with the vhs. The picture is perfect for both, just without sound when it comes to playing dvd`s. Do you have any troubleshooting ideas? thank you

John says :

Check all of the cable connections. Re-seat the connections from the DVD player to the DVD to make sure they are secure. Assuming you have it connected to the TV with a RCA cable, you should try a different cable, if you have one available. Make sure that the colors match for the RCA cable. Be sure to try multiple DVDs to rule out the possibility that it could be the DVD. If the problem persists it’s likely to be an internal problem with the audio output or the laser reader for the DVD player. If you have a warranty you should contact the manufacturer to have it repaired.

Galega says :

There can be two reasons which might have caused this issue. The first one is the cable problem. It is possible that your cable has not been inserted at any end. Video transmission is getting fine while there is problem with audio transmission. Remove cable and reinsert properly.

This type of problem sometimes also happens because of silly error we make with remote settings. Please fix the audio on the remote of your DVD player to normal range.

Leovardo Carrillo says :

My dvd player are not working properly, Cd spyns for a few times and then sends a message please eject the disc. playback feature may not be available on this disc . no produces any imagen and sound to the tv. The vhs is okay. Do you have any troubleshooting ideas? thank you

John says :

I’ve experienced similar issues with many DVD players. It’s usually an issue with the laser in the drive. The laser is unable to read the disc. However, be sure to test out a different DVD as well. If you have a DVD cleaner, you can use it to clean the laser.

Galega says :

First thing you need to do is to use another disc. It is possible that the current disc is corrupt and the player is not able to read it and hence giving message to eject it. If the problem persists, then you should proceed for second way of fixing this issue. Eject the player and use a soft cloth to wipe off all dust and particles that might be on there. There might be some dust issue with the laser and that’s why it is not able to read your disc. If the problem still persists, then you may have to call a service engineer to get it fixed.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1620875970431/k2311a082/8.2.06