Anchor Bay High School  » Education  »
County Line Rd., Fair Haven, MI
  • Though I believe this might be a state law, it was still a wonderful thing to learn
  • They will definitely learn from the experience

• by Nikki Hanna

I’m experiencing the most frightening thing in my time as a mother. My son has entered high school. This high school, however, is outstanding, and has made the transition absolutely seamless. The one great thing about the Anchor Bay school district is that once your child is registered in elementary school, there’s no more paperwork to fill out so long as you stay in the same district. Everything is transfered from elementary to middle school to high school, and I have never once taken this ease for granted.

I recently went to a parent’s night at the new high school, which was only built a couple years ago. It’s large, as far as schools here in our area go, and it sports all the newest technology for their classrooms. Students are not required to bring materials the frist day of school. In

fact, if you can’t afford the materials for your child, the school provides them for you, and you don’t have to go through the embarrassing process of proving that you financially cannot provide them. Though I believe this might be a state law, it was still a wonderful thing to learn. And, the community is wonderful and donates an unbelievable amount of supplies to the school every year.

Not only is the school new and the technologies up-to-date, they have a world of new programs open to the students that are not available anywhere else in our area, unless you are sending your child to a specialized school. This year, my son is taking robotics and computer graphic design, and he’s only in ninth grade. I couldn’t believe the progress the district has made in only the last couple years. This school ...

• also rates incredibly high on their MEAP scores, which is the standardized testing for our state.

Earlier this year, when the swine flu scare broke out, this school took no precautions. Notices were sent out to the parents when a student so much as went home showing any flu symptoms, and it was up to the parent to decide wether or not to withdraw their student. If swine flu was determined, then the school would be shut down and sterlized. I really appreciated this extra precaution.

Not only are the choices in classes phenomenal, but the students also have a wide range of after-school activities and sports to choose from, including the Air Force reserve for those students who would like a little extra discipline added to their courses. Upon first visiting this school, I’ve been floored by the doors they open

for my children, and can’t wait to see what my son does with his time there. He’s excited about his robotics class, and the students will even be able to bring home a completed robot that functions and moves and talks on command! This is a very exciting time for us, and this school has made the transition from middle school to high school as easy as it could ever be.

If you live in the area and have the means to transport your child, assuming the bus routes don’t travel to your area, I highly suggest making the effort to get your child enrolled here. They will definitely learn from the experience. My son’s academic record has already improved. Though he was always an honor roll student, now he’s considering AP classes, and is making straight A’s. I couldn’t be more proud.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 501407759440331/k2311a0714/7.14.09