Iggy Pop “Preliminaires”
  • I take pride in believing that I have much better tastes in music than he does, and while I know little about Iggy Pop’s recent work, I was skeptical about the new CD, “Preliminaires
  • To be honest, I only know Iggy Pop as the rocker who sang “Lust for Life” years ago and who had been a collaborator of David Bowie, and was a skinny, long-haired guy who looked like he had enjoyed his younger years
  • I decided to listen to it before I read anything about it or even before I looked at the CD cover
  • Right away, from the very first song, I found myself really enjoying it, but it was hardly what I expected

• by Jessie Bahrey

I was prepared to dislike the new CD my husband came home with the other day. I take pride in believing that I have much better tastes in music than he does, and while I know little about Iggy Pop’s recent work, I was skeptical about the new CD, “Preliminaires.

” An aging rocker trying to sound trendy by entitling his album a French word sounded a bit pretentious to me, but I decided to reserve judgment until I had heard it.

To

be honest, I only know Iggy Pop as the rocker who sang “Lust for Life” years ago and who had been a collaborator of David Bowie, and was a skinny, long-haired guy who looked like he had enjoyed his younger years.

I had always thought that his music was less than inspired, and a mix of punk and rock.

Well, we had to drive to another city, so we brought the new CD and put it in the stereo.

I decided to listen to it before I read anything about it or even before I looked at the CD cover.

Right away, from the very first song, I found myself really enjoying it, but it was hardly what I expected.

The songs are almost entirely jazz or have jazz tones, and many of the songs are either sung in French (really!), or have a New Orleans blues tone.

I loved this CD! As I was listening, I imagined sitting in a ...

• Iggy Pop “Preliminaires”
      small jam session in Louisiana or Memphis, in a smoky room with an old blues artist singing in the corner.

I would never have guessed this artist was Iggy, and it took me to an entirely different place as I was listening.

All the songs are melodic and sexy, and I was hooked.

Later on, I read the CD cover and discovered that Iggy made this CD after he was inspired by a French novelist and that he was attempting to

create a French and ‘Big-Easy’ style jazz album.

He even had a famous French filmmaker design the CD cover.

I am not up on my French novelists, but I do know a bit about the New Orleans style jazz or blues music, and this CD does capture that for me.

I really like this album and I can certainly say that Iggy Pop’s “Preliminaires” contains pretty, melodic, bluesy music that is nothing like his old music, and it is well worth buying!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 141307759120531/k2311a0713/7.13.09