Hassan II Mosque  » Travel  »
Blvd Sidi Mohd Ben Abdallah, Casablanca, Morocco
  • I was watching television the other night and saw images of the biggest mosques in the world, and I was reminded that just last year, I was able explore one of them for myself

• by Jessie Bahrey

I was watching television the other night and saw images of the biggest mosques in the world, and I was reminded that just last year, I was able explore one of them for myself. On our trip to Morocco, the city of Casablanca was the final stop, and we had only one day and one evening to see what we could of the city, and then depart for home the next day. I had not necessarily intended to visit a mosque, not because I was not interested, I just had not seen one that caught my attention before, and also because I was very ill and had intended to sleep and send my husband out to take pictures. As soon as we entered the city, being driven to our hotel by our tour’s driver in an old Mercedes Benz, we passed the

Mosque of Hassan II, an imposing, white gleaming structure on the edge of the ocean, and we determined that we needed to see it. Even from a great distance, it looked huge, with bright tiles, a tall minaret, and a green square dome shining in sunlight; in fact, it was so bright that it hurt our eyes to look at it. Our driver told us that it was the second largest mosque in the world, after the mosque in Mecca, and that the minaret was the world’s tallest. It had been opened in 1993, after hundreds of thousands of workers had spent years designing and building it. As soon as we got to our hotel, we changed and took a cab back to the mosque.

The Mosque of Hassan II is built quite literally right over the Atlantic Ocean. It is huge when ...

• you actually are there. The gardens and lawns are impressive as well, and we got to see many Muslims enter from a few different entrances-there was one just for women, and the map suggested that they have their own section, hidden from the rest of the building. For non-Muslim, we had to take a daily guided tour to enter. Since we had missed the tour for the day, we did get to go into one section, and walk around the outside of the mosque, and even the little we saw of it was enormously impressive.

The entire mosque is made of white marble, with intricate and colourful Moroccan tiling decorating many columns, fountains and arched doorways, in traditional Moroccan architecture. Many of the doors are made of brass, and there is also carved stucco and onyx throughout. The interior of the prayer hall

that we were able to enter has literally every inch of the walls carved, and the stairway is made of marble tiles. The inside of the dome is wood paneled with painted decorations. I was quite mesmerized, and overwhelmed, at the artistry of every inch of the mosque.

There is a real quiet, almost peaceful feeling all around the mosque, not just inside. Even for a non-Muslim, this place gives you a feeling of serenity and worship, of something higher than yourself. With the waves of the ocean as a backdrop, this stunning piece of architecture is the most holy of sites for the Muslim world, but anyone will get a sense of majesty here. Certainly, the Mosque of Hassan II is a site that any visitor to Casablanca will appreciate, not just for the spiritual aspect but for the beauty of the structure itself.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381307758870431/k2311a0713/7.13.09