Trieste Chinese take away  » Restaurants  »
Via Giulia 20, Trieste, Italy
  • Several years ago when I first came to Italy I found this Chinese take away and I must admit that in all thee years it never changed even a bit
  • I think I even have a photo with this lady and her little son
  • I paid for my chicken with pineapple as much as I used to pay 2 years ago and that’s 3, 40 Euro
  • My sister usually takes chicken with vegetables and you really get a bunch of vegetables in it and that also cost 3,40 Euro
  • Another thing that I find very interesting about them is that they don’t have a Chinese name but Italian one

• by lorelai

Several years ago when I first came to Italy I found this Chinese take away and I must admit that in all thee years it never changed even a bit. I don’t go there very often. It is situated almost in the center of the town on a way to a shopping mall which used to be very popular . A few years ago I was ordering from Buona Fortuna take away very often but then I stopped and a few days ago I was walking in Via Giulia with my sister and we saw this take away Buona Fotuna that we used to like a lot and we decided to order the food that we used to order. The first thing that surprised me is the place which didn’t change a bit, it looked just the same as I remembered it. It is very small and immediately when I saw the lady that works there it brought back many nice memories from past times.

I think I even have a photo with this lady and her little son. Anyway, the take away is really small it maybe has 9m2, there’s a glass fridge that serves like a counter and it is fool of Chinese products that you can buy like Chinese rice, pasta, soya sauce, beer and similar stuff. The lady doesn’t talk much she just takes the order and disappears behind the curtain, but that doesn’t mean that she is not polite because she really is. I think that she owns the place so she or some relative or even her husband does the cooking. Behind the curtain there’s a kitchen and you never

wait for a long time, 5 to 10 minutes tops.

You can sit and watch TV while they prepare the food for you. The menu: that was the second thing that surprised me, the menu remain exactly the same. It is an A4 folded paper on a long side so that it looks like as there are 4 pages and 2 leafs. On the first page, which is the front one there is a drawing of a Chinese couple and Buona Fortuna written in red on a white background, while under it there is red line on which in white it is written the address and the phone number. When you open the menu you can see a list of food, written in red letters on white background.

I will not tell you all the prices but I must admit that they are quite reasonable and although I haven’t been there for about 2 years they haven’t raised them. That was a really nice surprise. I paid for my chicken with pineapple as much as I used to pay 2 years ago and that’s 3, 40 Euro. Considering the fact that you really get a bunch of chicken and pineapple I really don’t think that the price is exaggerated. Well, it actually amazed me that they haven’t raised the prices when this crisis stroke like everyone else did.

And they haven’t even changed the quantity of food they give you. My sister usually takes chicken with vegetables and you really get a bunch of vegetables in it and that also cost 3,40 Euro. And now the food: you get the food in a aluminum containers which ...

• really holds the temperature. My sister and I walked back home and it took us 20 minutes to get there and when we opened the aluminum containers the food was still so hot that we couldn’t even eat it. The chicken was really perfect, so soft, I can never make it so soft, I really wonder how they do it.

The meal was not very sweet although the pineapple is very sweet, but what I like the most is the sauce in which this chicken and pineapple is. It is really something delicious and so many times I’ve boiled some rice and mixed it with chicken and pineapple so that the rice would taste after the sauce. I’ve read somewhere that they put white of the egg in the food while they cook t and that’s why the sauce is so good. I’ve tried that several times when I cooked different food but I never actually tried making chicken with pineapple, although if you think better it really shouldn’t be difficult to make it. They really have a big variety of the food; you can order pork with different condiments like mushrooms, curry, chilly, onion, soya, duck, beef, veal, prawn, calamari…all together there are 90 different things on the menu and none of them costs more than 5 Euro.

Isn’t that great?

At the back you also have several different complete menus, so if you order China tris where you get rice, prawn and whatever meat you want you will pay only 5,10 Euro for it instead of 7,10Euro as you would pay if you ordered those three things separately. The last thing written on the

menu is the opening hours. They are open from 11AM to 3PM and from 5. 30PM to 23PM every day even on Sundays and holidays. Sometimes I really hate that they don’t open little bit earlier in the evening because I don’t like to eat dinner like Italian people do at 8 or 10 but I prefer to eat at 4 or 5 for the last time, especially if I eat lunch at 1PM.

I really wonder how Italian people manage to eat at 1PM and then again so late at night. I get stomach ache if I eat 4 hours before I go to sleep. My final vote for this take away is 9 because I really like that they are fast to prepare the food and you can even order the food and they will deliver it but you pay 10% more than I think. I also like the way that the food tastes. I have tried a lot of things there but somehow I always went back to chicken with pineapple because it is so delicious that I can’t resist it and the stuff is very polite, when you enter you can actually feel the family atmosphere.

The lady that works behind the counter also speaks very good Italian which is usually not the case with the owners of different Chinese stores and restaurants. I have another Chinese take away much closer to my house but still I never go there because I prefer Buona Fortuna take away although it takes me about 20 minutes to get there by foot. Another thing that I find very interesting about them is that they don’t have a Chinese name but Italian one.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 71207758220631/k2311a0712/7.12.09