Visiting Disneyland during the Holidays  » Entertainment  »
Anaheim, CA
  • Disneyland is one of the best and most visited attractions in California
  • Based on that experience and my quest for adventure, my family and I headed to Disney on January 2, 2009
  • AVOID DISNEY LIKE THE PLAGUE ANYTIME FROM DECEMBER 20-JANUARY 5th or so
  • Disneyland is beautifully decorated over the holidays and the firework show was amazing

• by lawyer1laurie

Disneyland is one of the best and most visited attractions in California. My family and I were considering going over the Christmas Holiday but were nervous about the crowds and ride wait times. I read through several review sites and the results were somewhat mixed. Some reviews indicated it was a nightmare at that time of year while other reviews were more positive.

I had been there in 2008 on Thanksgiving day and the crowds were surprisingly very light. Based on that experience and my quest for adventure, my family and I headed to Disney on January 2, 2009.

BOY WAS THAT A MISTAKE!!!! AVOID DISNEY LIKE THE PLAGUE ANYTIME

FROM DECEMBER 20-JANUARY 5th or so!!

We spent the night the evening before so we could get to the park when the gates opened at 8:00 am. The good thing about Disney during this time of year is that is does have extended hours from 8:00-12:00 midnight on most nights. We arrived and spent the next 2 hours waiting to get into the parking structure to park. The downtown disney parking (free) is closed during the morning so you have no choice but to park in the parking lots and pay.

Once we finally got into the parking lot and to the gate, the lines were miles long. I can’t even ...

• put into words the disappointment I felt. I got in line and waited and waited and waited. Finally at 12:00 pm I got to the window and bought our tickets. So far we spent 2 hours waiting to park and 2 hours for tickets.

We entered the park at 12:00 pm but by then all the fastpasses for Space Mountain and the other popular rides were dispensed. We never go to ride Space Mountain that day because of the 2 hour waits and no fast passes.

Although we managed to ride quite a few rides (mostly kids rides), the kids were cranky from waiting from everything

from food to rides to a 2 hour wait to meet and greet the Disney Fairies. We had a stroller with us and it was very difficult to make our way through the crowds.

Disneyland is beautifully decorated over the holidays and the firework show was amazing. (the castle changes colors and we were standing in a spot were snow fell magically from the sky). However, the crowds made the experience unenjoyable for the most part especially with young kids.

I would recommned going right after Thanksgiving when most of the decorations are up but before Dec. 15th when the traffic picks up.

A great place to visit just not over Christmas break.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 591007756950831/k2311a0710/7.10.09