Fashion Bug  » Business  »
2.5
23 Mild Rd., New Baltimore MI
  • I have to cringe when I see the regularly priced items, because I know their either shrink, have holes in the seams within a matter of a month, or pill up to the point where it can't be saved

• by Anasuya

As a plus-size woman, it’s hard to find clothes that fit, fit well, and don’t look like giant tacky moo-moos. So, when I stumbled across Fashion Bug (which we didn’t have in the south where I used to live), I was pleased beyond description to discover a store with clothing that looked modern, and fit the plus-sized woman well.

Since discovering this store, I’ve spent more money there than I care to recount. And, my review is a mixed one. Though the store is pleasantly arranged, and they are constantly changing displays to add interest for the customer, there is something to be said for inconsistent quality in clothing and shoes. And that something is, generally speaking, not a good something.

One of the many issues I have is the new sizing system they use for

pants, which none of the employees can accurately describe or explain. You’re basically stuck just trying one pair of pants on after another until you find the size that works, and then memorize it so you’ll know what to get the next time you need a new pair. Also, their undergarments are expensive, but of the lowest possible quality. Expect your underwear elastic to start unraveling, and to get holes along the seams, just within a week of purchasing! I recently purchased a pair of shoes, and upon tying them, the shoe-laces broke. They almost wouldn’t accept the return because I had already discarded the shoe box. Also, their promised “sliming pants no matter what size you are” are practically a joke, in and of themselves.

But, the biggest disappointment is that, despite following all the washing ...

• instructions provided with the garments, every single shirt seems to shrink. And it’s never that all-over shrink. It’s only a shrink in length. So, you can’t buy a larger size hoping to shrink it down to the correct size, because it only shrinks in length and not width. If you bought a larger size, you’d be swimming in the plus-size equivalant of an 80’s muscle man’s tummy shirt. Not a good look, I assure you.

However, when you catch the sales, their prices are Wal-mart prices or better (during really great clearance events). Sadly, though, I have to say that I consistently have better quality from Wal-mart than Fashion Bug. If there are no sales, however, be prepared to pay upwards of $40 a shirt! I have to cringe when I see the regularly priced items,

because I know their either shrink, have holes in the seams within a matter of a month, or pill up to the point where it can’t be saved.

The sales associates are friendly and inviting, without being overly pushy, and they remember their return customers and are willing to help as best as their store policies allow. So, overall, I’d give this store a thumbs up and a thumbs down. Service and atmosphere are nice, but the quality is something of which you should be wary. Don’t be shy about returning items that fall apart after you buy them. Though they might complain about the return they, ultimately, have to give it to you. Usually, they are pretty good about not grumbling when you return an item, and aren’t pushy about doing an exchange in its place.

Fashion Bug

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 411007756550731/k2311a0710/7.10.09