Pollywood Pets and Accessories  » Business  »
0.5
N River Rd., Mount Clemens MI
  • Though I have no intention of burdening myself with more pets than I can handle, I love visiting pet shops, not only for the endless supplies, but for the opportunity to play with kittens and puppies that might otherwise be ignored for great lengths of time
  • I can't necessarily blame the pet store for those circumstances, as most do the best they can with the animals they have and the staff they have to work with
  • I believe, honestly, their only reprieve is when they are adopted by a customer
  • In the end, I'd only recommend purchasing from these people if for no other reason than to get those animals away from that place

• by Nikki Hanna

I’ve always been an animal lover, having been raised with animals all my life and currently the proud owner of two wonderful Basenji dogs. Though I have no intention of burdening myself with more pets than I can handle, I love visiting pet shops, not only for the endless supplies, but for the opportunity to play with kittens and puppies that might otherwise be ignored for great lengths of time. I can’t necessarily blame the pet store for those circumstances, as most do the best they can with the animals they have and the staff they have to work with. But, there comes along, once in a while, that one pet shop that totally makes you cringe. Pollywood Pets & Accessories is one of those places.

It is located inside Gibraltar Trade Center, which is akin to a giant flea market, and their alloted space is small in comparison to the size of the building in general. The first time I visited this

pet shop, I was doing an arts and crafts show further in the back of the building, but near enough that I could hear the birds sqawking and dogs barking. Of course, the sounds of animals drew me near. And, I was immediately appalled by what I witnessed. The dogs and cats are permanently kept in small kennels, sometimes even more than one animal per crate. The kittens are easily three to four per crate, without any room to move. Since the building is occupied by only a security gaurd at night, there is no garauntee those animals are let out of their crates to run around at any point during any of their days there. I believe, honestly, their only reprieve is when they are adopted by a customer. The adoption prices, also, are outstanding at this place, and it’s a wonder they do any business at all, especially considering the care and condition of their animals.

The last time I visited ...

• this shop, there was one cat, in particular, that looked on the verge of death. It just laid in the crate, and even if you pushed your fingers through the bars and went to pet the cat or encourage it to play, it wouldn’t move, nor even open its eyes. The only reason I even knew it was alive was because I could see its small inhale and exhale of breaths. I couldn’t have been more sad if I’d seen my own pet in such a condition.

And Pollywood has tons of animals in similar conditions. Their large birds are kept in crates too small to fully extend their wings. Their rabbits are kept five or six per crate… and these are crates suitable for one medium sized dog, not five or six animals. The poor things were piled on top of one another, sleeping constantly because there simply wasn’t room to move and play. I’ve occassionally seen the shop place some puppies

in an exercise pen on the floor, but they always demand the customers not touch the pets unless instructed to do so by store staff. Makes me wonder what it is they have to hide. And, sadly, I have a feeling half of these animals probably die in this shop and never see a friendly, warm or caring home.

In the end, I’d only recommend purchasing from these people if for no other reason than to get those animals away from that place! If I had the room and the finances to do so, I’d have bought them all a hundred times over. As it is, even calling animal protective services hasn’t done much good. Yes, I have called. But that is how strongly I feel about the mistreatment to animals this business adheres to. Beware though, if you do purchase an animal from the, it’s likely to have a world of health problems you might not be able to afford to deal with.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 411007756530731/k2311a0710/7.10.09