Salvation Army, New Baltimore MI  » General  »
2.5
23 Mile Rd., New Baltimore MI
  • At one point this location was small, and their prices couldn't be beat, and I couldn't count the number of times I found clothing and other household items with tags still attached or still in their original packaging
  • I thought this would be a wonderful thing for the community and for the causes which Salvation Army helps support
  • It's definitely what I like to call sensory overload
  • Unfortunately, I've stopped supporting this location because of the price hicks and the lower quality standards they've begun to emply
  • My advice is to find a smaller store and enjoy your experience a little more

• by Nikki Hanna

I’ve always believed it’s important to support a good cause and to support your local community. As such, I make it a point to shop at the local Salvation Army as often as possible. If it saves me a couple bucks in the process, then all the better! At one point this location was small, and their prices couldn’t be beat, and I couldn’t count the number of times I found clothing and other household items with tags still attached or still in their original packaging. It’s like finding treasure in your own backyard!

A couple years ago, the business next door moved out, and Salvation Army acquired that space, and planned a several month-long rennovation, expanding the size of their store three times over.

I thought this would be a wonderful thing for the community and for the causes which Salvation Army helps support.

The next time I went in there, their prices had risen considerably. I realized this was probably a necessity thanks to the raise in their property rent and utilities, and took it with a grain of salt. But, over the last two years, the prices KEEP going up. I used to be able to find a decent shirt for $2, but now you’re lucky to find a used shirt for less than $5! I can go to my nearest clothing store and hit their clearance racks and buy brand new clothes for less than that! I’ve begun to feel cheated. I do understand it’s a ...

• good cause, but there’s only so much you can charge for used items before its considered highway robbery.

Not only this, but the store itself is a total disaster. The clothing is all mixed up, and its obvious associates don’t take the proper time to really seperate clothes as necessary. Boys clothes are arbitrarily placed with girls clothes, and womens sizes are simply all over the place. Granted, they DO try to get a majority of it placed in the right spots, but it gets frustrating to have to sort through sizes that wont fit you, in a store that’s huge, to find the size that will fit you. Also, they jam the racks with so many things that it’s even difficult to sift through

everything and see what’s there. It’s definitely what I like to call sensory overload. Too much to see in too little space, and you end up not buying anything because it becomes overwhelming just being there in the first place.

I would also like to see them take a little more care in the donated items they accept and put up for sale. Clothes with stains or holes, furniture with rips and god knows what stained on them. And then they charge ridiculous prices for totally defective and useless pieces!

Unfortunately, I’ve stopped supporting this location because of the price hicks and the lower quality standards they’ve begun to emply. My advice is to find a smaller store and enjoy your experience a little more.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11007755760631/k2311a0710/7.10.09